Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My "new" Marlin 45-70 Cowboy was just crying out for a leather butt cover, so I made one last night and stained it today.

My goals:

1. Raise the comb a little, to allow scope use but without compromising irons
2. Increase length of pull (the gun is a little short for me- see the slo-mo vid in an earlier thread)
3. Soak up recoil
4. Hold some ammunition
5. Protect stock
6. Not look totally gash

Some pics:

It's veg-tanned leather which I've stained with Fiebing's "Antique leather finish", followed by a Carnuaba wax mixture then polished.

I'm no leatherworker but I think it fulfills the goals set (can't comment on recoil yet.)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Nice job BBM!

Working with leather is not one of my skill sets, so I appreciate seeing how it's done.

Cheers,

Benn

Reactions: whitewater

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
Nice job

·
Registered
340 Posts
That gives encouragement/motivation to those like me that are "fence sitting" about getting started in doing leathercraft... nice job.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Good job!!! You've got some skill!!
Very nice!!!!
Thanks for sharing!!:)

Tim

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Very nice job Bangbangman!!:congrats: With 16 shots you can drop a herd of deer at one sitting!! :biggrin:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
That gives encouragement/motivation to those like me that are "fence sitting" about getting started in doing leathercraft... nice job.
Get off the fence and go for it!

I'm very much a novice but I enjoy it and can make functional, simple kit. Set-up costs need not be extreme and their are lots of tutorials on the web.

When my son was christened I made him a knife and a spoon, so I had to make a sheath, too. As a first attempt it's pretty clumsy but it is more special for having been home made.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Great job on the leatherwork and great job of photographing the process!

·
Premium Member
6,295 Posts
Looks good. Where did you get the leather and supplies?

Reactions: Bugsmasher

·
Registered
20,300 Posts
Very nice!:tee:

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Nice job and Thank You for sharing.....Looks like one proud daddy in that last picture.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
that's great.....love to see leatherwork.

I have a friend in Austria that does alot of his own stuff.....archery..knife making...leather and flutes.....I am amazed at the talent some ppl posess.....jer

1 - 20 of 25 Posts