Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I just mentioned it in passing on my post about all the problems with my rifle, but I have noticed that a lot of guys are having problems with a rough or gravelly action. Pull the bolt and look at the machine work on the slot the lever engages. Mine looks like it was chiseled by hand - a very shaky hand at that. I didn't request it, because mine is going back anyway, but you may be able to just send in the bolt for a replacement if everything else is to your satisfaction.

·
Premium Member
10,948 Posts
troutfly6971 said:
Hey guys. I just mentioned it in passing on my post about all the problems with my rifle, but I have noticed that a lot of guys are having problems with a rough or gravelly action. Pull the bolt and look at the machine work on the slot the lever engages. Mine looks like it was chiseled by hand - a very shaky hand at that. I didn't request it, because mine is going back anyway, but you may be able to just send in the bolt for a replacement if everything else is to your satisfaction.
TF,

That slot is made with a shaper.......similar to broaching.

Yes, some look a little crude, but then, they always looked that way for the most part.
If you were to change out the br' Bolt for a replacement, you would need to have the rifle re-breeched 'cause the correct headspace would no longer be there. Correct head space is built around the Br'Bolt iself.

If the look of the slot bothers you, you can smooth it up with a small file, but don't remove too much material, particularly on the front end of the slot.

Tom

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. My old 336 is a lot smoother. I was just wondering if it was a problem. Glad its ok. One less thing to fret over.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts