Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
McMillan has been making high quality fiberglass stocks for 30+ years now. For 25+ years the Marines have been using those stocks on their M40A1 sniper rifles. The rifles are custom-built, one by one, at Quantico Virginia with Remington 700 actions.

In addition to the M40A1 stock, McMillan produces a huge number of different stocks for hunting rifles, target rifles, varmint rifles and "tactical" rifles. This latest stock, the M40A1-3, was designed at the request of an unnamed gov't agency as their ideal "sniper" stock. The main differences between it and the standard M40A1 stock is that the comb has been raised by 1/4" and a forend similar to the newer A3 tactical stock has been added. The forend is wider than the M40A1 stock, flatter, and has a pair of finger grooves built in.

Several of these stocks were made up for field testing, and luckily enough, Kelly McMillan chose to send one to me for my evaluation. I asked him to make mine a half inch longer than normal, with a 14" length of pull, to include a forend rail so that I can use a handstop, and to make it with the molded-in camo color.

So far, I really like the stock! Very comfortable to use. The LOP is perfect. Without effort I get a very good cheek weld on the raised comb. The forend rides bags (or my backpack) real well, much steadier than the HS Precision stock which was on this rifle for years. The McMillan is very precisely inletted; my barreled action dropped right in and the varmint contour Krieger barrel was free-floating right up to the fat part of the barrel adjacent to the receiver. Great piece of gear! I'd recommend one of these M40A1-3 stocks for anyone building a varmint rifle, or an accurate hunting rifle for heavy-duty use.

These photos were snapped quickly right after the stock arrived at my place. I'll post more photos of the completed rifle when it's back from the bedding job being done by Rick Freudenberg of Everett Washington.

Regards, Guy

·
Premium Member
12,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's the completed rifle. Picked it up at Rick Freudenberg's shop in Everett Washington earlier today. Got home then assembled all the accessories; monopod, bipod, sling, handstop and of course the 3.2-17 US Optics scope. Rick steel-bedded the action, very precise job. Also slightly enlarged the barrel channel to keep the barrel free-floating even if I'm putting a lot of pressure on the forend with sling pressure.

Should have it out to the range in a day or two for a sight-in session, and to get familiar with the new stock. Will have an accuracy report subsequently. I can't help but think that Rick's craftsmanship coupled with Kelly McMillans latest stock will only help the accuracy of this little Remmy.

Regards, Guy

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
The molded in camo colours are an interesting concept. I'm considering applying a "winter break-up" finish to a cheapie ramlines I'm working with on an old Mauser in .308....

Keep us posted on your progress Guy.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Premium Member
12,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got to the range today for a few hours. Re-zeroed it surprisingly quickly, considering that it has been bedded in a new stock, and the scope base & rings were removed, then replaced.

Established a tight zero at 100 yards, then figured my "come-ups" for 200 and 300 yards. After figuring the data for 100, 200 and 300, I removed the bipod and shot prone & sitting with only the sling for support. Results were gratifying! :D The new stock seems to minimize felt recoil, and it also makes it very easy to assume a good shooting position. Believe several features contribute to this:

1) General rigidity of the stock works well from a tight sling position.
2) Higher comb makes it easy to get properly behind the glass.
3) More generous forend allows the shooter to more easily use his support hand & arm to provide necessary bone support for precision shooting.
4) More vertical pistol grip makes it easy to snug the rifle into the shoulder for a solid positional lockup.

I think Kelly McMillan has come up with another winner! This is an excellent evolution of the wonderful old USMC M40A1 stock.

·
Premium Member
12,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:D Very happy shooter here!

Took the Remington to the 600 yard line a few days ago. Fired it from a bipod, with factory loaded Federal 168 grain match ammo. First three shots produced a 2.75" group at 600 yards. I was quite satisfied!

A rifle that holds one MOA at 100 yards is not necessarily capable of doing the same at 600 yards or farther. This one just beat 1/2 MOA at 600 yards. I can live with that!

Removed the bipod and just looped the sling around my arm for stability. Have found that this stock makes it relatively easy to maintain a solid shooting position. Once again, the results were very good, I was able to maintain a one MOA group for ten shots.

Looks like Kelly McMilla has developed a very nice stock for bolt guns.

Regards, Guy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts