Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new to me 1981 m39a seems to have a stiff action. Just seems to take a little more to work the lever than I would expect. My 1895 is much easier with much more mass.
Is this normal? If seems like it drags on the ejector. Haven’t removed the ejector to verify.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
As Packard stated... Be sure to disassemble it for a good cleaning & lube.
Shooting .22 can get very dirty. If the previous owner hasn't bothered to clean it- there is sure to be some build up in the action.
Get some rags/patches, gun cleaner ( maybe hopes #9) & gun oil and go to town.

While you have it disassembled- inspect the parts.

·
Banned
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cleaned and lubed previously. Parts look good but that ejector is pushing pretty hard against the bolt. Also looks like wear where the carrier/lifter rubs on the inside. Took it apart again, lightly greased all parts showing wear. Action works fine and cycles ammo fine. Ejects shells a good 5 feet. Might just be normal resistance.
Do have a issue when reassembling, the lever sometimes only opens the bolt 1/2” or so then stops. Didn’t force it, reopen takedown and removing mag tube seems to make it assemble fine. Taking it to shoot now.

·
Banned
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Only finger tightening the takedown screw. I think its normal, I get the same feeling of resistance when closing the bolt on my 1894, just less resistance. The M39a bolt has very little mass and that ejector sure sticks out aways, its just dragging more than I expected. I don't have a fine enough screwdriver to remove the ejector to verify. But it cycled and worked well at the range.
Old eyes and a buckhorn sight are tough, very blurry, tried 6 types ammo. 50yds got 1" 5 shot group with CCI Blazer, 1 1/16" with CCI minimag round nose, and 1 1/4" with CCI minimag hp. Rest were 1.5-2.5"
All loads shot about 2" high with the rear sight bottomed out, either going with a Williams 5d or (gasp) a small scope.

·
Registered
867 Posts
On a few on the 39's I've had I used a quarter on the take down bolt to snug it down a little more and it helped with the levering of the action.
Some work better that way and others with only light tension on the bolt.
As far as the sights are concerned, I have no problem with mounting a scope on a lever gun if it tightens the groups and makes the experience more enjoyable.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
You guys are geniuses! Torqued it down another 1/2 turn plus with a quarter and the action is much smoother. Thanks!

That's always the issue with mine. If it's too loose, the action feels tight as can be. Tighten the thumb screw and we're back to smooth.

·
Registered
128 Posts
As stated previously the take down screw will make a huge difference in the movement of the action. Try to loosen it a bit, or tighten it a bit and I'll bet you find a spot where it cycles better. It's a trial and error method and each rifle seems to be different.
Have fun at the range.
Here's another option to consider...

On mine, first I tighten it, to bring the 2 receiver halves together, but then I loosen it or back it off almost a full turn.

So I tighten it, and then loosen it -- and that seems to work for me.

Each 39 is different though, so you'll have to check.

Worst case -- just go out and shoot 2 full bricks of 22s through it, that will help!

Old No7

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.