Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. You may remember my post a few weeks ago about the 375 I scored. Well, I finally got it to the range and got to shoot it. Very happy with it. It's very comfortable to shoot. I almost want to say it's tamer than the .35 rem; is that possible? I was shooting the factory 200gr. Winchester ammo, and the scope is an NcStar 2-7x32 scout scope on the XS Leverscout mount. The pics pretty much say the rest. You can see some serious human error on the 100yd group, but I'm guessing the deer would still be dead. I didn't have much time to play around with it. You can see I didn't even get it all the way sighted in. By the way, how high should I sight in at 100 yds for max PBR? Thanks for looking.
Matthew

50 yards

100 yards

·
Registered
520 Posts
MY first time out with a 375 at 100 yards my group was the same as your top pictures...except two were touching. Prone, OPEN SIGHTS.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
With the exceeption of the Group 1 flyer, it is showing a promise.

Sight the rifle in 3" high at 100 yards for MPBR. For some reason the callculator shows this as the right height for most loads in my .375 and .45-70.

·
Registered
736 Posts
My software and I agree with Coyote Hunter. 3 inches high at 100 gives about 3 inches low at 200 for MPBR of 200 on a 6 inch target. Given your posted 100 yd target, I would move your POI up 7 inches and left 2 inches. If each click on your scope's w/e turrets = 1/4 MOA, I would start with about 25 clicks up and 8 clicks left. That should get you pretty darn close. Don't forget to let the barrel cool after 2 or three shots while sighting in. Your first shot on game will be with a cold barrel, not a hot one. It's a common sight-in mistake. You prolly already know all this though.
:)
Live well

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies, folks. I doubt I'll need to shoot anything out to 200 yds, but it will be nice have that option, and still hold dead-on all the way out. I'll need to do some more practice at that range though, but I don't know if I can afford it! The winchester stuff was $28/box locally.
--
Matthew

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Ranch Dog said:
Need to start reloading...
I agree - you can pay for the reloading equipment pretty quickly at that price...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I definitely plan to reload for this eventually. I just don't have time to work something up before deer season. I think I might try the Wisconsin Cart'g. Co. ammo, though. I can get two boxes shipped to me for a little over $30.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, Pappa Bear. There are some pics and more info in an earlier post, if you missed those. I got a really good deal on it from a local dealer's shop. I think I'm going to really like the caliber. I know the .35 Rem or even the .30-30 would do everything I need, but hey, why not?

Matthew

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
knerr (love that name),

Have you had a chance to try the M375 out anymore? Did you get any ammo from WCC? I have several boxes, they are a little squirrly in my M375. A group of 3 can be covered by a half dollar @ 100 yds then it would take a pie plate to cover the next group of 3. WCC loads the 220 gr.

It does seem that the 200 grs prooduce about the same or less recoil than the .35 200 gr factory loads, perhaps it is a mild load.

SS

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've owned a cople of .375s and the ones I shot definitly seemed to kick less than the same gun in .35 rem. I have read that given similar 200 grain bullets and loads that the one with the bigger bore will kick less, and that has been the real world experience in my case.

Weagle

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sidespin: No, I haven't gotten to shoot it anymore yet, and I haven't bought any WCC ammo either. Sorry to hear you haven't had the best luck with them. I don't know if I'll have time to try them out before the season starts or not.

I'm glad it's not my imagination about the recoil. This cartridge just keeps getting better! Plus, I know I'll be able to "juice" it up when I want to when I start handloading for it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts