Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a M1917 Enfield. I wish it was unmolested but its not. It had been sported a long time ago and was pretty rough looking. Whoever did the work on it did a good job though. I have cleaned it up and refinished the stock and it's looking good. I did an oil finish that turned out very nice. I'm planning to put a Skinner Lopro on the back and run it with no scope. I may cut it back to 19", I haven't decided yet. I would like to put and original trigger guard and magazine box back on it so it will hold 5 in the magazine again and I can use stripper clips.

IMG_20140524_102725 (800x600).jpg IMG_20140524_102801 (800x600).jpg IMG_20140524_104302 (800x600).jpg IMG_20140524_104323 (800x600).jpg
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
IMG_20140524_104339 (600x800).jpg

·
Registered
17,104 Posts
The original magazine box and trigger guard is longer(deeper) and may stick out the bottom of your stock. The original trigger guard is stepped,look at a drawing and you'll see what i mean. A lot of sporterized American Enfields had the triggerguard cut and straightened. You'd have to check it and see. By the way,the original military M1917 held six .30-06 cartridges,the magazine box was originally designed for an experimental .276 Enfield as the P13,then the rimmed .303 as the P14,so there was extra room when the design morphed into the M1917 in .30-06.

Rob

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have one that was my Dads it's sporterized too the barrel was shortened to 22" man she is a good shooter. I would like to find one in original condition I could afford. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Coalsmoke that's a beauty. My Father recently bought his Father's gun from his older Brother. Grandpa had it sporterised in the early 60's. He had a very nice stock put on it and had the original mag well change so the gun had the straight flowing bottom. I can still remember seeing the gun in its original for mat. They had the appearance of a MI Grand with the original mag well. Grandpa had someone grind the rear sight aperture wings off and drilled and tapped it for a scope. However the person who drilled the hole for the rear screw got it way off center. Dad and I have decided to put a Willams rear mount peep on it also. The gun has screw holes already there for the sight. I wish I could find that part number for you. I think you would be happier with that than the LO-Pro Skinner. It would look more period correct, and would have left and right adjustment. Check your gun to see if tapped on the bolt side for a aperture sight. The gun also had problems with the trigger sear. It would fire while closing the bolt. Dad had a Timmney Trigger put in it a great improvement.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It has holes drilled on top of the receiver for 2 piece scope bases. The spacing is 1/2 inch. It is not D&Ted on the side of receiver for a sight.

I definitely want an aperture rear sight on it. I think a Williams WGRS for an FN Mauser will fit but I'm afraid it will stick out too far front or rear and either obstruct the bolt or the stripper guide. I don't know if there are other options with 1/2" spacing out there. Any one have ideas?

I like the Lopro because it's simple and I can always drift the front sight for windage. From what I've read that's how it was done originally. The current rear sight is dovetailed into the barrel and everything looks centered so I'm hoping windage won't be a problem anyway. I have a Marble's Bullseye sight on a 336 and really like it a lot, but I think I want something a little more precise on this one.

I'm still weighing sighting options. Any and all in put is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The original magazine box and trigger guard is longer(deeper) and may stick out the bottom of your stock. The original trigger guard is stepped,look at a drawing and you'll see what i mean. A lot of sporterized American Enfields had the triggerguard cut and straightened. You'd have to check it and see. By the way,the original military M1917 held six .30-06 cartridges,the magazine box was originally designed for an experimental .276 Enfield as the P13,then the rimmed .303 as the P14,so there was extra room when the design morphed into the M1917 in .30-06.

Rob
I have been looking at that. I think there is enough room if I straighten the trigger guard and maybe take a little off the magazine box. The bad news is trigger guards and magazine boxes are expensive.

I may be able to take a little more wood out of the bottom of the magazine well and get another round in there. I'm a little nervous about trying it though. I really don't want to ruin this stock, it's really nice.

·
Registered
485 Posts
How many rounds does it hold now? Rifle looks nice the way it is. Don't know how much messing I would do with it. Nice.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1 - 9 of 9 Posts