Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to date a M94. It's a 24 inch round barrel 38/40 cresent buttplate. Rifle looks untouched except for wood re-finsh

Receiver is marked on the bottom 437057 Or perhaps the first digit is not a 4 at all. Not distinct and possably overstamped. 37057 is distinct and appears to be stamped at another time, this based on how deep the digits are. Top tang is marked Marlin in script 'M94. Barrel just in front of the receiver marked 38-40 Marlin Roll mark on top in front of the rear sight with three patent dates. Oct 87 xxxxxx through August 1 1893

Looking at the PDF file on our site seems no 6 digit numbers for 94's 94 and 1894 production if you go back to the years of production were all 5 digit numbers

Am I reading the PDF wrong or is the first digit of my 6 digit gun overstamp for some reason.

Boats

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
They made 94s with 6 digits, yours with 437xxx is correct, 1912-1915. Sometime the numbers are un even or a digit lighter as they were hand stamped

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

It's a nice rifle am going to shoot it in NRA CLA Pistol caliber events as a back up to my new made M1894 32/20

Boats

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
If you pull the buttstock the upper tang left side will also have the serial number. Sometimes Marlin didn't use the whole serial number on stocks.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks will have the stock off for a good cleaning inside. Don't plan to modify it except lighten the trigger spring and install a MVA tang sight with the factory holes

Boats

1 - 5 of 5 Posts