Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was all ready to brag up this little stinker...took pics of the target with the gun and THEN...the forward bolt drops out of the stock!

Man...I hate it when stuff like that happens. I looked it all over and it appears:

1) the bolt is a tad too short.

2) the bolt may have been over-torqued at the factory (I've never put a screw driver to the gun)...looks like the threading in the receiver may be stripped out a bit.

The problem could most likely be solved with a bit longer bolt/screw. Currently, with the stock removed, the screw/bolt can be threaded into the hole in the receiver, it's just not gaining purchase where the first few threads meet the screw/bolt...it grabs deeper in the hole...but of course the screw/bolt is not long enough to gain solid (any) purchase when the stock is in place.

I guess I could "cut" into the stock so the screw/bolt head is recessed into the bottom of the forearm...that would work (I think)...but heck, it's a brand new Wally-World Stainless M-60...why would I need to do this to make the stock stay in place??

Anyone else have a problem like this? I'm all ears as to any reasonable suggestion. I'd really rather not ship this $100.00 rimfire back to Marlin. It's not really worth it to me to "invest" in the gun (even though it shoots good).

Thank you!!!

Bob

The "hole"

The hole in the stock:

The screw/bolt in the hole in the receiver

See the metal in the threads?

The screw/bolt:

The nice target! I like what the rifle can do with a cheap Tasco scope!!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Personally, I would call Marlin and give them a chance to make it good.
They can't do anything if they don't know about the problem.
FM

·
Registered
32 Posts
Since you don't want to send it back, use a Forstner bit and counter-sink the hole in the stock about an eighth of an inch, clean threads up on the bolt. Goop the bolt with some blue loctite and snug her down. How often do you expect to be taking it apart? If not that often then it shouldn't be too much of a hassle to loctite it each time. Seems like anything we buy anymore has to be re-engineered to use. Quick

·
Registered
75 Posts
My brother had the exact same problem with one of his.
He did a nice "Cut-in" on the stock so the threads would have more bite.
Worked like a champ!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions. I think the counter-sink sounds like a good plan. I just need to do it in a way that does not bugger up th stock too much.

Bob

·
Registered
409 Posts
Take it back to Wally World and have them deal with sending it back to Marlin, I think Marlin needs to be made aware of this, and I think it going back to them from WallyWorld would probably get more attention,
(I'm sure if Wally World starts sending a lot of defective firearms back to Marlin, WallyWorld might reconsider carrying their products).
Just a thought, since the reseller (WallyWorld) probably has a louder voice than an individual purchaser will.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
il Padrino said:
Take it back to Wally World and have them deal with sending it back to Marlin, I think Marlin needs to be made aware of this, and I think it going back to them from WallyWorld would probably get more attention,
(I'm sure if Wally World starts sending a lot of defective firearms back to Marlin, WallyWorld might reconsider carrying their products).
Just a thought, since the reseller (WallyWorld) probably has a louder voice than an individual purchaser will.
Going to Walmart is a waste of time. They will NOT help you send it back.
In fact, they'll go kinda bonkers when they discover you are trying to bring a gun INTO the store.

But definitely call Marlin. If you did the smart thing & sent in your warranty card after you got it,
it should be a cake-walk to get it resolved.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts