Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:?: --- Any knowledge of Wildcatting the .45 Colt or the .454 Casull , -- by simply necking down to .410 .

Has anyone done this and / or modified an 1894 for such a cartridge ??

Would yield lots of room for slow burning powders !

Maybe rechamber a M1894FG - .41 Mag. . ------ OR , rebarrel an existing M1894 chambered for .45 Colt . :?:

This could conceivably be a solution to the feeding problems that many ( in these forums ) have had with the M1894FG , and other M1894's - ??

The owner of (IMHO ) , the best Gun Store in WA State , recently opined that perhaps the problem of M1894 jams was because the original engineering / design ; -- was to cycle tapered cartridges , ( like the .44-40 ) . --- THUS THE PROBLEMS WITH STRAIGHT CASES / CARTRIDGES . --- :?:

-------- Nose To The Trail , ----- MMCOUGAR .

·
Registered
688 Posts
I would think that it would be best to rechamber the .41 barrel and mount on a .45 LC action... Maybe save a lot of work that way.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Why stop there? Lets go down to .38 and have a 38/44 bain davis so to speek.

·
Registered
330 Posts
jerdog53 said:
Why stop there? Lets go down to .38 and have a 38/44 bain davis so to speek.
Indeed! Or go alllllllll the way and do a 30/44, I know Gary Reeder has developed one of his GNR Wildcats for 30cal pistol on a 30-30 case. Essentially shortening the 30 Herret. Now that in a levergun would be a 32-20 on steroids!

On topic, I've got a Marlin 62 in 256WinMag, a necked down 357Mag, that is an amazing shooter. But I must confess I prefer the look of the traditional 1894's. My original "94 with 24" octagon in 25-20 is such a fine little piece, and shoots so well, it'd be a bit of a sin to mess with the old girl.

If and when I become less financially challenged, I'll get a new 1894 in 357 and a 25-20CL barrel from Numrich's and get it chambered to the 256WinMag. Of course I should pick up a 44Mag at the same time and do the same with a 32-20CL and have that chambered to the GNR round. Bolt face on the 44Mag is the same as the 30-30 rim.

Cheers,
R*2

·
Premium Member
18,033 Posts
Being partial to 41 caliber cartridges, I like the idea MMCOUGAR put out, though there are several possible parent cartridges. I kinda like the idea of a 475/480 necked down to 40 or 41, pressures could actually be reduced and yet velocities would be higher! And anything that makes a sweet handling levergun a little flatter-shooting is a good thing!

Papajohn

1 - 5 of 5 Posts