Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
found this at a local shop...:Springfield Garand 3006 cal, great condition. Shooter grade, 1945 receiver w/ 1951 barrel. $875
any thoughts? is this a good price?

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
A better price than I see at gun shows. You need to use a throat gauge to check muzzle and barrel wear.
Mine was so bad, I had to rebarrel.

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Like Pard said you might need to check out the wear.CMP Garands run $600 to $1500 and they are checked and fired.Unfortunately it takes awhile to get one...

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
Bad price, maybe, depending on how great of condition it's really in, and how much you want that particular rifle. You can get a nice M1 from the CMP these days pretty quickly, they'll ship it straight to your front door. They were backordered a lot during the Obama scare, but before that it wasn't that bad, and now that the Obama scare is over it's not that bad. You get yourself eligible (look here: http://www.thecmp.org/eligibility.htm, you are basically good to go for the shooting requirement since you are a veteran, all you need to do is prove your US citizenship and join an affiliated club such as the RWVA or M14RA for about $20), then order a Service Grade M1 Garand made by either Harrington and Richardson or Springfield Armory for $600, then they ship it to your front door within two to four weeks or so. Done and done. Do it now, don't think about it ;D

Actually now that I think about it, if you're willing to spend $875 for an M1, you'd be much better off saving up a few hundred dollars more and doing the following:

-Order field grade M1 from the CMP
-Send said M1 to DGR, James River Armory, or Shuff's Parkerizing for a full resto package with new barrel, finish, wood, etc. They make 'em run and look right.

Or could just order a Springfield Special from the CMP for $900. They're very, very nice, look and feel new.

Total cost about $1k-1.2k.

Guess it depends on what you like. The whole "collector" thing doesn't impress me unless it is a matching rifle with some history behind it. For a shooter I just want a rifle well maintained like they kept 'em in the service. When parts needed replacing they replaced 'em. When the stocks needed replacing they replaced 'em. Like newly rearsenaled is even better ;D Most M1s you'll find have been rearsenaled so many times it's not even funny, anyway.

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
Awesome ;D Should be able to order right away with the web receipt. I think they send their memberships to the CMP daily, electronically, too.

Don't forget to order some of the Greek surplus ammo with your rifle. It's good stuff, I just shot some last Friday night, and the cases are reloadable. Not as accurate as match grade ammo, but not bad, either.

Was just up at the CMP South store last week...was too much fun digging through all the rifles to hand pick one for my buddy. I came super close to picking up a Field Grade Springfield that was absolutely sweet...only thing "wrong" with it was that it had a tiny bit of frosting in the bore, nothing that would affect accuracy, and would probably smooth up with some lapping...on second thought for only $500 maybe I should've gotten it :-\ Ah well, I already have a nice HRA.

We basically found a like new (except for the stock which is in great condition), all HRA Service Grade for my buddy. Really probably should've been graded as "Correct," but they grade their rifles very conservatively ;D

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
usmcsugarglider said:
i'll order an m 1.
When you return from the range the first time, you will understand why its the greatest battle implement ever devised.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well..went out for a few brews with a buddy of mine( former navy..submariner...and he can shoot. go figure). i guess we'll be hitting the range in a month or so.

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
I have 39 loaded 8 round clips (312) for one. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,477 Posts
miatakix said:
Was just up at the CMP South store last week...was too much fun digging through all the rifles to hand pick one for my buddy.
I have been promising myself a CMP M1 for some time. My current M1 is out of commission (a FedOrd rebuild = junk) for now and I really love shooting it.

I would make a weekend of it, though, head to Alabammy and pick one out for meself. ;D

...Jeez, you guys are driving me crazy! First the M-4 thing, the tangent off to the Socom/Scout and now a CMP M1...

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
Awesome ;D

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
I'm waiting on my email of receiving my paperwork,should be today...

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
Charlie98, what the heck is a FedOrd M1 Garand, anyway? Commercial production? Is the receiver at least military production (i.e. Springfield, Harrington & Richardson, Winchester, International Harvester, Beretta, or Breda)? Or any of the other parts? Or is it 100% commercial production?

If it's truly junk you might just have to sell it cheap, or dress it up a little and hang it on your wall. Then go get a CMP M1 ;D If money is tight could always do like i did and go over there and try to find a nice Field Grade rifle with a tight muzzle, good trigger, action, and bolt (I also try to find the ones with the stamped as opposed to the earlier milled trigger guards, helps accuracy). Too bad we didn't talk earlier, I could've set aside that Springfield I found for ya, I'm pretty sure I've heard they'll do that no problem ;D

·
Premium Member
3,477 Posts
miatakix said:
Charlie98, what the heck is a FedOrd M1 Garand, anyway? Commercial production? Is the receiver at least military production (i.e. Springfield, Harrington & Richardson, Winchester, International Harvester, Beretta, or Breda)? Or any of the other parts? Or is it 100% commercial production?
No, it's a Springfield receiver. They rebarreled them, patched up the stocks, reparked them and sent them out the door. They had an option for .30-06 or .308, I chose .30-06 because I wanted a traditional M1. The repark is so heavy you can't really make out the SN#... ::)

Mine has issues, the timing is off (the clip ejects too early and hits the bolt) and the retention tab on the oprod is broken off. I bought another oprod at a gunshow some years ago (SA, same drawing number) thinking it would be interchangeable, but it will not cycle (short-cycle.) So it sets at the back of the safe. :'(

I appreciate thinking about me... but I must be the one to journey to the Temple, and make the search myself for The One, Grasshopper!

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
Hmm, do you have a micrometer, or even a dial caliper?

I'm wondering about this replacement op-rod you picked up. Since it is short-cycling (especially if the old one wasn't?), I'm guessing that the gas piston is worn out. They don't last forever... Could be that you gas cylinder is worn out, too, although those tend to last a lot longer than the gas pistons, and if are so don't necessarily need replacement, but just a bigger gas piston. You can't always tell when the piston is worn out just by looking at them, which is where the micrometer is useful...check that for us, if you can. If the O.D. of the piston is worn too small, it'd be letting all kinds of gasses by, which would explain the short-cycling. It's harder to check the ID of the gas cylinder, need a special gage for that.

This kind of thing is standard maintenance on any gas operated rifle with a gas piston system (i.e. any self-loading rifle except an AR), and stuff you might have to do on even a CMP M1 if you shoot it silly and start wearing things out ;D The gas piston is just a little round piece of stainless steel. Jim Schwarz used to install new ones for you for not a lot of coin. He also would bend the op-rod back into spec if it doesn't have the proper bends, and would weld up worn-down retention tabs when they wear out. It looks like he might have retired, and that Mike Stacey might have taken over for him. This should be his email address:

Mike Stacey <[email protected]>

Timing issues can be fixed. Poor parkerizing aside, it'd be a shame to let a good M1 receiver go to waste, when you could send it off to a place such as James River, DGR, or Shuff's, and get back a perfectly good, working M1 in like-new rearmored condition ;D

·
Premium Member
3,477 Posts
Not to hijack USMCSugar's topic... ;D ...but he won't mind.

I bought it 20OCT92, so it is almost 19 years old, for $360. I suspect I have about 600rds through it, about half factory, half reloads. The chamber has some rough marks in it and puts grooves in the brass about half way up the case, rather displeasing. So a new barrel wouldn't hurt my feelings.

I did shoot it... I just keep my fingers firmly on the op rod so when it cycles, the rod won't cam out of battery and let the bolt break the rear of the receiver off (and my face, too.) But I'm too old and wise for that foolishness now.

I remember a reference to someone who would rebuild oprods... I believe it's the same person. But I always figured for what I would spend getting the FedOrd back up and running, I could just get a CMP and be done with it... New stock, new barrel, new/modified oprod, retimed. Probably a new gas cylinder. But I won't sell it the way it is (I could not in good consience,) and I won't shoot it like that. So the solution is very clear... fix it or junk it. And you are correct... it would be a waste to not use a good receiver. ;D

·
Super Moderator
7,957 Posts
Pard said:
When you return from the range the first time, you will understand why its the greatest battle implement ever devised.
If you shot a M1 and don't get a woody, then you aint human ;D That ting as the clip hits the ground is just awesome!

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
Interesting, yeah, Charlie98. If I were you I might be extremely tempted to send it to DGR to have them rework it. What they do...their final product is better than how they were, when they were issued new. Guess it would depend on your bolt and other parts, too...if you have to start replacing too much stuff, well...

Nah, nonsense, put that receiver to work ;D

Or if you just want a good shooter, can't go wrong with a CMP, either.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts