Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into getting a receiver sight for my old Marlin336rc. It's not as handy with a scope, and I'm not crazy about the factory open sights.

Is there any real advantage that one of these has over the other, or is it a Ford vs. Chevy thing. Right now I'm leaning toward the 5D Williams model. It's a good deal less expensive, and I'm not sure I'll need micrometer clicks on a woods hunting rifle. Also, will I be OK with the factory front bead, or should I look into replacing it?

This is my first post on this forum. It's good to see there are so many lever lovers still out there. I think I'll like it here.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have a williams 5D and like it alot so far. was plenty easy to adjust for me. Got it for $30.

Dan.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Use the Search button at the top of this screen. It's between FAQ and Memberlist. Conduct searches for Lyman, 5D, FP, FoolProof, XS and Ghost. You will get all sorts of opinions and comments.

I have used FP, 5D, and WGRS. Mypreference is FP if you are not willing to settle on one load for your gun. This is because the other two do not have precise adjustments and constantly resighting for handloads and different factory ammo is tedious, inexact, and therefore, expensive. I think I can save the cost difference between FP and the other two by using less ammo to resight my rifle.

If you are a one load man, any of them will work great once sighted in. I can't speak about Lymans.

Welcome to the forum. It's a great place to have some fun and learn alot.

·
Registered
855 Posts
WILLIAMS OR LYMAN?

I now have 7 Marlin Lever guns, 6 with receiver sights. 2 have Foolproof, 1 has a 5D and 3 have Lymans. I'm starting to lean towards the Williams more- easy to adjust, and locks down tight after final adjustment. The 5D I can't complain about, however (mm93 took pity on me and sold it to me for $15). Midway has Foolproofs on sale for somewhere over $46.00. The Foolproof is an outstanding sight and Williams will back it up w/o question if you ever have a problem. The Lymans DO look cool, however.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Re: WILLIAMS OR LYMAN?

OIF2, I am looking at getting a ghost ring type system also. Right now (which could change at any time) it's between the XS, Williams, or WWG systems. A question for you, did you go with the fiber optic front or just used the stock front sight? I have a new 336A with the hooded (taken off) front with a gold / rounded front sight. I've only shot out to around 40 yards with my stock irons and they shoot very well to COM.

How have the fiber optic sights held up? Do you have a hood over them and if not, do they hold up under normal wear and tear? I am concerned about having this rather delicate sight on a HD firearm. I don't install them on any of my handguns for that reason but am willing to try then on a rifle. I understand that they collect light, so what is the sight picture like during a low light situation? Any better than a regular sight post?

OIF2 said:
I now have 7 Marlin Lever guns, 6 with receiver sights. 2 have Foolproof, 1 has a 5D and 3 have Lymans. I'm starting to lean towards the Williams more- easy to adjust, and locks down tight after final adjustment. The 5D I can't complain about, however (mm93 took pity on me and sold it to me for $15). Midway has Foolproofs on sale for somewhere over $46.00. The Foolproof is an outstanding sight and Williams will back it up w/o question if you ever have a problem. The Lymans DO look cool, however.
edit: sp

·
Registered
855 Posts
FRONT SIGHTS

I don't like the fiber optic-type colored sights. I shot bullseye (both rifle and pistol) with the USAR team for years (I'm currently shooting service pistol) and I prefer a plain, black post. I have problems getting the 1" groups that everyone else talks about with a gold or white-colored bead or the colored stuff. In low-light situations nothing really works well unless it's illuminated. The plain black post-type works as well as anything, IMO. On the 336's the front-sight height- thing is iffy, depending on the year it was made. Just mounted a Williams FP on a 336 LTD (thanks, Sure Shot) and the height was fine (plenty of elevation left for adjustment). On my older Marlin ADL from 1955 I needed, I think, a .330 height. The caliber on both is .35. The .30/30's need something a little higher, maybe .360 or .375. What everyone has mentioned previously is true- go with a FP over the 5D or Guide sight. Much easier to adjust and worth the extra cost. Better get off the soap-box now. Hope this helps. Regards, Bob

·
Registered
39 Posts
Re: FRONT SIGHTS

Mine came with the gold circle on top of the post. Where do you get a plain black post, or do you file off the gold paint?

OIF2 said:
...I prefer a plain, black post...

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Re: FRONT SIGHTS

f2 said:
Mine came with the gold circle on top of the post. Where do you get a plain black post, or do you file off the gold paint?
It is not a gold paint I beleive. It is made off bras. You would need to touch it up with black paint, i would guess.

Mad

1 - 11 of 11 Posts