Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Lyman 66LA receiver sight with a damaged L-shaped insert - the part that slides into the base. The horizontal arm that holds the aperture, originally manufactured at a right angle to the sliding portion is bent down toward the "waffletop" of the receiver. It appears as if someone dropped the rifle on the top of the receiver and bent the arm/aperture toward the top of the receiver. The bend occurs just after the angle, not at the angle. I was considering disassembling it to just the bare, L-shaped insert, placing it in a vise and gently pressing it straight. I also noticed there are three holes near the angle where the elevation knob, screw and the "clicking leaf" protrude up through the horizontal arm. This may weaken that corner and promote tear.

Has anyone experienced this and tried to straighten? How malleable (?) are they?

Does anyone have an extra L-shaped insert?

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Although it may discolor the sight, if it is the older all steel model, a little heat would aid the realignment job. If it is alunimum, you may not be able to straighten it eithout breaking. I think you may be able to get parts from Numerich. Best mwishes, Jack

1 - 3 of 3 Posts