Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone uses the Lyman 311041 30 caliber mold, what is your mold as-cast diameter with Wheel weight metal? Also if any of you have the RCBS 30-180FN mold, what is the diameter it drops cast boolits?

JUst needing a good mold for the 30/30, and alot of times the molds throw a boolit with a small as-cast diameter with wheelweight metal

The fellows over on "Cast Boolit" forum have had this problem with the Lyman 311041.

·
Registered
157 Posts
A friend of mine has 5 seperate Lyman 311041 molds he has purchased over the years some new, some used, each one casts a different diameter. My best Reccomemndation is to either buy a new Lyman and be ready to send it back if it casts small, Lyman is usually pretty good about this. Or buy a copycat mold from N.O.E. molds.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have a fairly recent Lyman #311041, and its casts 92/6/2 to a fat .311", a few ticks short of .312". In my experience, that would cast WW metal at .311" without much ado. My 30-30s (both Winchesters and Marlin MicroGrooves) do their best work with bullets sized at .310". FWIW, I pole-axed an idiot coyote with a Lyman #311041/cast as a soft-point a few months back. Muzzle velocity was about 1800 FPS, hit was made at 115 yards. DRT.

·
Premium Member
5,226 Posts
311041 casts .312, and my RCBS shoots them at .313. The nose on the RCBS was always a bit difficult to deal with as it shot out at .302, which would not chamber. I've had better luck getting copies of these at NOE moulds. I ordered copies of both, and they are better representatives of the original boolit.

I ordered two copies of Ranch dog moulds in 32 last night. They should be shipped in a few days. Usually have my moulds in a week. I can't recommend them enough. They don't currently have the 2 cavity moulds available, but superior 4 and 5 cavities are available for both copies right now. This certainly cuts down on the casting time! I have both the Lyman and RCBS moulds, and have not used them for some time. (too slow)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.