Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay-- now I have melted and reformed to bars, wheel weights. Many wheel weights. So how do I get from wheel weights to Lyman #2 or 20:1 or 30:1 or whatever? Probably easier than it seems, but...?!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Check out Glenn Fryxell's articles over at Cast Boolits.He has formulas for all kinds of common alloys and how to get from one to the other.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Here ya go.........

You can also oven heat treat your plain cast wheel weight bullets and get an almost exact desired BHN using the temperatures and time in this article. http://www.lasc.us/heattreat.htm The trick to success is controlling and knowing exactly what the temperature of the oven is.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have used straight wheel weights for 38-55 and other non gas checked. I was quite happy with thre results--especially with a Lee die and the 38-55. I would to try something different with gas checked 338 and 30-06. I will start with the water quenched and move into alloys. I have also ordered a RanchDog 308 size mould.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
The purpose of adding the tin is to get better mould fill out.

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
agreed, I can never get diameters when using only WW metal. Add tin life is good. Diameters are there and fewer reject boolits.

Papalote

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
You're lucky to have plenty of wheel weights available for casting. They don't exist in large numbers in my neck of the woods.

rimrock

1 - 9 of 9 Posts