Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
That's amazing, even for Ebay! I foind it interesting how many guns he thinks it fits! All with different tang spacing too! I also wonder how that sight could fit a model 52 bolt action?
I hope the buyer knows what he's doing, or really needs that sight, because that's a couple hundred dollars more than I've ever seen one go for!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
A.O. Niedner's 52 Win sporting custom build (Later the factory prototype for the 52 Sporting) had a tang sight mounted on the comb of the stock. How well this arrangement worked, I have no idea... but I too am skeptical of that one tang sight fitting all those different rifles. Insane price too- glad I stay away from E-Pay....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Interesting info on Niedner Doc! I didn't know he had his 52 used as the prototpye for the 52 sporter? I'd like to see a picture of that gun, just for historical interest, and my own curiosity!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Vall-

There are a couple of good pics of the rifle when it belonged to original owner, Major Hessian, U.S. Army, ret'd, in Houze's 52 book. Hessian apparently loaned the rifle to Edwin Pugsley of the Winchester factory, for use as a research prototype. This rifle sold recently at auction for an astronomical sum. I'll see if I can find the auction, and "borrow" the pics...
Niedner's involvement was mostly doing the custom work to turn a standard weight model 52 rifle into a trim sporter. The engraving on the gun was done by a fella named Kornbrath....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I purchased a Stevens 414 Armory a while back that came with a Mint, like New # 103 on it. I didn't even consider the sight at the time but now it would seem I made a pretty good deal on the rifle if that price means anything. I didn't pay anything like that price for the complete setup. especially since it had the Stevens rear sight on it also and a Beeches on
the front.

DG :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
You probably ended up with the Stevens for free!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Found the pics.... BTW- the rifle went at auction for over $66,000.00 :shock:

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
While I would have had to leave the bidding early, the rifle is a pure work of art! What exquisite wood and engraving!!

I also question the practicality of the stock-mounted sight. One mis-step or bump, and you're out of a tang sight!

Beautiful rifle, though!! SW

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Thanks a bunch for the pictures Doc! What a wonderful rifle! Not sure I could ever shoot something that pretty! Kornbrath is a very well known engraver, who did nothing but superb work!
I can see why Winchester used this for their sample!
The stock mounted tang sight is reminiscent of the old Creedmoor rifles, except it's farther forward. The Creedmoors were mounted on top of the stock, just forward of the buttplate, so a shooter could llie down on his back, and hold the gun across his chest resting the barrel on his leg. These rifles had a steel base inletted into the stocks, and I'd bet the Niedner Win. 52 was probably set up the same way.
Not sure how good that sight would be with the mounting point so close to the shooter's eye!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts