Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a published source for a starting load for the .35 Rem using the 220gr Sierra with LVR powder? I searched here and online and found a few guys using it, but no manufacturer data. It seems that I probably couldn't get enough powder in the case to cause a failure with the long bullet, but I would like a starting point to work with.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I wished I could help, but they don't list Leverevolution in Quick Load data. I am pretty interested in this myself. Around 2150/2200 that bullet should be really good in the 35 Rem. I have a pile of them as well.

·
Registered
11,171 Posts
Gona watch this thread, as I just picked up a lb of it yesterday. Have some 200 gr lead boolits I would like to use also.

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
I'm not sure about Sierra 220gr. I can't even find sierra 220gr in .358.
But I've been playing around with some Speer 220gr FP and leverevolution powder. I started out at 40gr of powder and so far have worked up to 42.5gr with really good accuracy at 100 yards.
Unfortunately I don't own chrony so can't talk velocity yet.
I used the hornady 200gr ftx load data as both bullets are seated to the same depth.
My ending point of 42.5 is a little above max (so try at your own risk).
I do know that my 42.5gr load shoots 1inch groups at 100 yards and at the same point of impact as factory leverevolution 200gr ammo.
Circle
Ammunition Brass Metal Bullet Hand

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
WOW! Now were talking. I will give it a shot soon. I have plenty of bullets and powder. That looks like a great shooting load for sure!

·
Registered
133 Posts
I found some information(not published) that was backed up with actual pressure readings and a very good understanding of how the LVR works. This is some incredible powder, it likes to push the heavy fat ones of the 35 Rem.

I loaded up some Speer 220 gr with 39.0, 40.0, 41.0 and 42.0 gr of LVR and tested them in my 53 SC with the Ballard rifling with a 4X scope at 50 yards, I was impressed. The 39.0 gr load was good for a 1.5" group and the 40.0 slightly smaller, the 41.0 gr load shocked me, I put 4 rounds into a group that can be covered by a Penney. The 42.0 gr load opened up a little bit, 3 rounds can be covered by a Quarter. I don't know how fast they were going, but they had more of a kick and a push than the 200 FTX factory load.

I picked up some 230 LFP with gas checks a couple weeks ago at a gun show that I am looking forward to experimenting with. I discovered that close to half of the bag of 100 weighed 228 to 230 gr and others were 240 to 242 gr, so these all have to be sorted.

In the last year I have been able to acquire 3 lbs of LVR powder and the only way I found brass was by buying the Leverevolution factory ammo, which means I have to empty them to load them, which means I got to shoot more, darn!:biggrin:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They are Speer bullets, for some reason I was thinking Sierra. Sounds like I shouldn't get into any trouble starting at 39gr and working up in .5gr increments. Not that I really need more than the 200gr Core-Lokts, but it's fun to try something different.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.