Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents ive just 3 days ago retired my 25 year old powder dropper.

Ive replaced it with a nice new RCBS unit however i notice some lubricant (which looks & feels like fine oil) down inside. Quite a bit actually in that there is enough to soak up a good deal of powder.

Would you give it just quick wipe out until it appears dry or would you dismantle it & wash it all inside & out with a solvent ?

Im strictly a 'do it by the book only' type of reloader & dont like the idea of ANY oil in my powder.

Cheers.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
If it's a Uniflow, I would remove the barrel (is that what it's called?), clean it using some kind of solvent that evaporates with minimal residue like acetone or lacquer thinner before using the measure.

Avoid exposing the plastic hopper to solvents. For this, I would use dish soap and water.

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
11,353 Posts
Rubbing soft pencil lead on the sliding parts after degreasing is a good way to get graphite lube onto sliding parts that contact propellant. AC

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks gents…wasnt sure if a bit of wet lube was now somewhat accepted, hard when you dont mix with a lot of people but i do like reading this forum. Im a bit of fasioned & if it aint in the book im lost. I have some graphite powder which i will use gunscrewguy. Thank you all.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I'm the opposite, as I degrease every thing having to do with powder measures, dippers, scales, and anything that might remotely come into contact with my powder. I use 97% isopropyl alcohol. It works good, and plenty cheap at the Wallyworld pharmacy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts