Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,963 Posts
D White said:
Does anyone here know if any of the LTD III's came ported from the factory?

LTD III's have 18.5" octogon barrels and were NEVER ported from the factory.

Tom

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tom, you're quick!! Could a customer special order it? How much would it hurt the value, I know some like ports and some don't.

·
Premium Member
10,963 Posts
D White said:
Thanks Tom, you're quick!! Could a customer special order it? How much would it hurt the value, I know some like ports and some don't.
Dave,

LTD III's were made in the 90's. They were a special run of 501 guns , if I recall correctly. None could be had from Marlin with ports. Re: value, if you're looking at an LTD III with ports, they were added by a previous owner, and NOT original. If you like ports, then I suppose they don't matter too much, but to others??........well, as I said they are not original to the rifle. No more LTD III's will ever be built.

Re: a special order. When Marlin was in North Haven, special orders like that were only done for an employee that could "make it happen".

I have a 1976 444 that I had re-barreled with a special 1:20" Ballard barrel having a re-positioned dovetail, for a full length mag tube. It is the only 444 ever done that way by Marlin in that fashion, because the full length 444 tube did not exist. I had to process a special mag tube made by butting and welding two tubes together. I doubt with the problems remington has, in just building functioning rifles, they would entertain any special orders, unless there was 500 + units involved.

Tom

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the information. I'm trying to learn as much as I can and this forum has been a big help thanks to people like you. I sent you a pm with one more question, I hope it isn't too much trouble.

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
1 Posts
Since I just won the previous pair of LTD III's (GB auction 234787746 ) I thought I would chime in here. I did my research when I saw them & agree they must have been modified somewhere along the line. I placed a low bid anyway, & got 2 fine rifles at a great price! I will post more on them when they arrive.

Cheers!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Looks like the seller has a couple sets of ported LTD III. The current gb auction is for their second set and all of them are ported.

I like the LTD III a lot, but not sure if I like them non factory ported.

To each their own though....

·
Registered
258 Posts
Interesting that the serial numbers on the box for these guns is III00663 and 664. From my experience with special runs that would mean that al least 664 Ltd IIIs were made which is more than I thought. Was the Ltd III a run of 501 or 1001?

Very curious!

Rob

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
robs said:
Interesting that the serial numbers on the box for these guns is III00663 and 664. From my experience with special runs that would mean that al least 664 Ltd IIIs were made which is more than I thought. Was the Ltd III a run of 501 or 1001?

Very curious!

Rob
1001 were made back in '99

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Bruiser said:
I just recently saw a pair of of consectutively number LTD III's on one of the auction sites and they were both ported. I wondered if that was factory at first, but then I thought probably not. Here they are:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=237267217

-Bob George
When did they start coming with recoil pads. Mine.......Bought NIB has a plain plastic butt plate.
Yours being ported after the fact must have had the recoil pads added then too.

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
The Happy Kaboomer said:
When did they start coming with recoil pads. Mine.......Bought NIB has a plain plastic butt plate.
Yours being ported after the fact must have had the recoil pads added then too.
Those pads are add on's too......they came with a hard plastic butt plate.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yup, I decided to pass on these because of the ports. Waiting for the right one to come along is half the fun. :)

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
jitneyman said:
Since I just won the previous pair of LTD III's (GB auction 234787746 ) I thought I would chime in here. I did my research when I saw them & agree they must have been modified somewhere along the line. I placed a low bid anyway, & got 2 fine rifles at a great price! I will post more on them when they arrive.

Cheers!
jitneyman,

Good job on those! If I would have seen them I would have bid. Beautiful Marlins there :eek:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts