Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dr. put me on a low salt diet. Black pepper helps as does Mrs Dash. Bought some wild game seasoning that might as well have been no seasoning. Need ideas.

DEP

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
On you on that diet for high blood pressure?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Some food's are terrible without salt! I guess you have to get use to it. Especially if your health is at risk!

·
Super Moderator
23,820 Posts
Haven't used salt on anything for years--most food already has too much salt in it. I like pepper better..............

·
Registered
417 Posts
Wife does not use salt for cooking, NONE. We use unsalted butter. After awhile you will not miss it at all. Wife uses a little salt on her food. I pick one item out of the meal and use just a little salt on it (usually beef or a vegetable but not both). You do need some salt in your diet. It is amazing how salty I find foods when we eat at someones house or go out to eat. I call salt " the white death ". I use fresh coarsely ground pepper.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Might not be salt that is the problem. Look into the Keto diet. Dr Ken Barry has lots of good info on you tube.
Salt is probably never the problem. I should clarify though. Most salt we use is not good for use. It's been highly processed and refined. The high heat in the refinement slightly alters it. Use a salt that hasn't been refined.

https://seasalt.com

Sugar is the most likely culprit for most of our health issue including high blood pressure. If you think salt is in everything look at ingredients in all foods nearly. Lots of sugar. Doctors are just repeating what they have been taught without researching it themselves

Reactions: Travlin

·
Registered
575 Posts
Most common salt substitute is Potassium Chloride aka Potassium Salt. Any salt substitute worth its salt (see how I did that) will contain Potassium Chloride. There are other substances used as a salt substitute but KCl is what most doctors will recommend and what I use if a client asks for a salt substitute.

Reactions: northmn

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have to cut back on salt for both blood pressure and fluid retention. My legs were holding fluid and after cutting back on the salt they do not do so anymore. Feel less arthritic also. I do think that less salt effects me more when working in the heat and keep a little Gator Ade handy with water.

I also have to back off the sugar also. Was getting a little carried away with desserts.

DEP

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Dr. put me on a low salt diet. Black pepper helps as does Mrs Dash. Bought some wild game seasoning that might as well have been no seasoning. Need ideas.

DEP
When possible use these in dishes.

• Garlic: They have small glass grinders with dried diced garlic at the store like pepper mills
  • Celery: Chopped celery in stew, home made soups, slow cookers, salads
  • Onion: Same as celery - adds flavor
  • Fresh Ground Black Pepper
  • Lemon juice
  • Try Sriracha sauce on your popcorn instead of butter and salt, my favorite
Use unsalted butter and stay away from all canned soups.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
I have to watch my sodium intake as well.

Be careful with salt substitutes if you're on a sodium restricted diet because of reduced renal (kidney) function. Most salt substitutes use potassium chloride in place of sodium chloride.

High potassium levels usually develop slowly over weeks or months. This can lead to feelings of fatigue or nausea.

If your potassium spikes suddenly, you may experience difficulty breathing, chest pain, or heart palpitations. If you begin experiencing these symptoms, call your local emergency services. This condition, called hyperkalemia, requires immediate medical care.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts