Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I like to plink and shoot steel with medium cast loads in my 366 and would like to mount a scope on it so I can see better....love irons but it is like a big blur these days.

I bought a Leupold Rifleman 1 piece Aluminum mount. I have been researching rings and found the rings in the picture in my tool box. I don't know what they are. Most likely they are cheap?! They are also aluminum. Has anyone seen something like these and do they work to hold zero?

I am not positive on the scope yet, but I want a budget scope like maybe a Bushnell Banner 1-4x32, or splurge on a Weaver 1-3X20
Not totally positive on the scope yet, so I am up to $100 scope budget recommendations. I know many think a $100 scope is a waste of money, but I have heard reports that they work decent. I am mostly a plinker and want to eventually hunt black tail again out here in the Pacific Northwest.

Thoughts!?!

Thanks!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Cpy911,

Those rings appear to be for grooved .22 receivers. The Leupold Rifleman bases are the same as Weavers. Find a set of Weaver rings or Burris Z rings for your base. If you have a real gun old fashioned store close you'll probably be able to get a used set cheap. If not used sets are pretty cheap on eBay. Weaver rings are ugly but stout and easy to use.

Good luck,

Matt

·
Registered
244 Posts
I don't think those are 22 rings. They look to be the correct size for the base sitting next to them.

I have a weaver 1-3x20 on a 22. I find that I never actually run it at 1x. typically I run it somewhere between 2x and 4x. I kind of wish I had bought something else. That being said, for cheap I would go with this fixed 4x scope for $30. Simmons 8-Point Rifle Scope 4x 32mm Truplex Reticle Matte I might still have the 4x tasco pronghorn I pulled off my 336 when I bought it. if I do you can have it for shipping. It was in pretty rough shape cosmetically, but it seemed sound optically, and the seller was still killing deer with it. And what I would really really do is buy a scout mount ($50?) and put an ncstar pistolero 2.5x scope ($#%) on it.

Those rings are probably fine. I'd be reluctant to crank down on them with a nice scope in there as they probably need to be lapped, but they will hold the scope in place just fine.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have not opened the rail mount, but just lining everything up, it looks like they would would work. The "clamp" portion of the ring is definitely wide enough to fit onto the rail. I just wonder if they are junk and should be thrown away, or given away.
Thanks.
Cpy911,

Those rings appear to be for grooved .22 receivers. The Leupold Rifleman bases are the same as Weavers. Find a set of Weaver rings or Burris Z rings for your base. If you have a real gun old fashioned store close you'll probably be able to get a used set cheap. If not used sets are pretty cheap on eBay. Weaver rings are ugly but stout and easy to use.

Good luck,

Matt

·
Premium Member
7,698 Posts
I like the Nikon Prostaff 2x7 . It's near your price range. I have 3 of them. Good scopes.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow. Not bad for a $75 scope. If it holds zero and is easier to see than blurry iron sights (at least to my eyes) that is a heck of a deal.

1895 Gunner uses the Bushnell banner on all his big bores. He has never posted A problem that I have seen.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Looks likes that base and rings would be acceptable on a 30-30 or 35 rem.

I would remove the grip tape from the inside of the rings and lap them though.

·
Premium Member
7,698 Posts
I have looked through the Banner scopes and they look decent. I just prefer the higher magnification of the Nikons

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I have a Nikon Prostaff 2-7x and a Bushnell Banner 4x on separate 336s. I like both, but the Nikon is the better scope, and it is also twice as expensive as the Bushnell.

In your price range, and as long as you don't expect to hunt at distances over about 150 yards, the Bushnell Banner is a very good choice.

·
Super Moderator
24,399 Posts
All my Bushnell Banners have been outstanding on my various Marlins. My favorite model is the 2-7X36MM sold at Dicks Sporting Goods. They work very well on my 336C and 336AS. They provide a great trade off between field of view and magnification.

Reactions: CWT

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
So many of us have been in your shoes over the years and you're getting sound advice in this thread. Go though all of the suggestions and find what will work best for you.

Here is my take on your original post ...
The word "cheap" should never be a part of any equation in the shooting/hunting world. I know exactly what you meant but a lot of us have learned through the years if you go "cheap" you will end up replacing it at a later time. I have done this in the past and so has thousands of others here. As far as your Leupold scope base, it is a very good choice and is better than the Weaver 63B base as it is longer and has another set of ring slots. This is the only base I buy and I got started on this base because of fine members telling me to try one. I would advise to buy some Leupold, Weaver, or Burris Z rings. I am using all three on my rifles. They can run up to $30 but once mounted properly, they're solid. Here is one I use a lot ... Weaver 1 Top-Mount Rings Matte Low

I have had and still have many Bushnell scopes and still have the Banner scope on a Marlin MR-7 .270 rifle. Good choice in my opinion for around $75. But then you mentioned hunting black tail deer, so now I will throw in my suggestion for a good hunting scope which is the Leupold Rifleman. They sell for $185 from Midway with free shipping but is quite a bit more than you said your budget will allow. I have one and will buy more as I think they are one of the best buys on the market ... at least for me.
Leupold Rifleman Rifle Scope 2-7x 33mm Wide Duplex Reticle Matte

Good luck ...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So the rings I have shown in the picture should not be used? I don't know what they are but thought about giving them a try or do I need to buy other ones?
So many of us have been in your shoes over the years and you're getting sound advice in this thread. Go though all of the suggestions and find what will work best for you.

Here is my take on your original post ...
The word "cheap" should never be a part of any equation in the shooting/hunting world. I know exactly what you meant but a lot of us have learned through the years if you go "cheap" you will end up replacing it at a later time. I have done this in the past and so has thousands of others here. As far as your Leupold scope base, it is a very good choice and is better than the Weaver 63B base as it is longer and has another set of ring slots. This is the only base I buy and I got started on this base because of fine members telling me to try one. I would advise to buy some Leupold, Weaver, or Burris Z rings. I am using all three on my rifles. They can run up to $30 but once mounted properly, they're solid. Here is one I use a lot ... Weaver 1 Top-Mount Rings Matte Low

I have had and still have many Bushnell scopes and still have the Banner scope on a Marlin MR-7 .270 rifle. Good choice in my opinion for around $75. But then you mentioned hunting black tail deer, so now I will throw in my suggestion for a good hunting scope which is the Leupold Rifleman. They sell for $185 from Midway with free shipping but is quite a bit more than you said your budget will allow. I have one and will buy more as I think they are one of the best buys on the market ... at least for me.
Leupold Rifleman Rifle Scope 2-7x 33mm Wide Duplex Reticle Matte

Good luck ...

·
Registered
564 Posts
So the rings I have shown in the picture should not be used? I don't know what they are but thought about giving them a try or do I need to buy other ones?
Those rings should work for 336 calibers. If you're concerned, get some steel rings.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts