Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Wife's Grandfather Wylie Scott Tolbert passed yesterday at 3:30 pm. He had been sick with Cancer for the past year. We did a lot of fishing together and some deer hunting. In 2000 He moved in with my Wife and me. He was a retired Master Brick Mason. In his prime he could lay 2500 bricks a day. In 2001 I left Currituck Sheriff's Dept. for greener grass. I had planned on starting my own business, Site debris management. I had bought a roll back wrecker and started building containers to be located at construction sites. At the time there were only 2 other companies doing this within 200 miles of me. I ran into some divorce issues and had to put my business on hold. Wylie and I decided to start our own Brick Mason Company. We had a great time and did very well. He was 73 when we started Currituck Masonry, and that old coot could still lay 2000 brick a day . He was born and raised in Bland County VA, near Great Walker Mountain. Wylie was a true mountain man and moved back to the mountains in about 2008. My Wife and I moved up there for a year in 2009 to help set him up with a home. We got a chance to move back and left him situated good. About a year later he moved back in with us he was lonely. He moved back to Bland in 2013 to finish his life out and be close to his Family origins. We will miss him and I will cherish my personal memoir's of this Mountain Man.

·
Super Moderator
5,143 Posts
sorry to hear of your friend.
sounds like you have some great memories to hold on to.

·
Premium Member
10,433 Posts
my best friend was my dad, he died in 1996 he taught me to work, hunt, fish and to be honest and have good manners. the older i get the smarter he was. i miss him and my mom every day, she died in 04 but i did not lose them, they were saved by the grace of God and i know exactly where they are and i will see them again.

·
Registered
21,089 Posts
Sorry for your loss!

·
Registered
292 Posts
I also lost a hunting partner and can sympathize with you. The really cool thing is that I know it won't be long before I see him again!

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Hey Gabby. Please accept my prayers and condolences.

Mark.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My Wife and I preached the gospel as well as many others, I'm sure through out his life. He never seemed to care about it and mentioned he had many doubts. Once on top of Mountain near his Mothers home stead, he asked my wife to gather some stones out of a little stream that ran through the property. He told my wife If she could find enough stones he would make her a stone hearth for the wood stove. My wife was wading around in the stream looking and complaining about how cold the water was. Paw Paw and I went scouting. When we returned later she had found enough. That night as Paw Paw was applying the stones she brought several over to me and questioned the imprints on some of the stones she had found. I told her they were fossils, and she said that she new that but wanted to know how did they get there. I looked again and noticed what they actually were. The imprints where of scallop shells. And other sea creatures. Paw Paw said let me see that. I then asked both how they got there. Paw Paw said now that's a mystery. I told both of them not really cause they got there during the great flood of Noah's days. I told them see this is one of the stories of the Bible that you both doubted and now you have the proof of the Bibles truth. Well that sealed my wife's faith that night and planted a seed into Paw Paw. I'm glad to hear that Paw Paw excepted Jesus Christ as his Lord and Master last year. I will get to see him again. Praise God for all his miracles.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Could someone help me move a picture from The Ole Fishing hole site. The picture is of Wylie Tolbert and me. The picture is on this site, Fish Photo Thread page 9. Sanyo236.jpg. My wife did not have time to help me this morning, she's gone to work. Thanks for any help and a brief how to do would help.

·
Premium Member
6,514 Posts
My condolence I lose 3 three good hunting a fishing friends that can't be replace. They were my older brothers who took me under their wing after my father died when I was 7 Y/O. I satisfy the void when hunting deer by feeling they are in the woods posted in their spots and at the end of the day we all meet at the old logging road and go home. I guess when my day comes they will be wanting for me by the old logging road to take their little brother home.
Tony

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.