Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reloading 300 grain Nolser bullets in new Starline 45/70 brass, using Lee dies. The brass is sized and trimmed. When the bullets are seated the cases bulge slightly at the base of the bullet. The case bulge extends about three quarters of the way around the case. The remaining portion is smooth. It appears that the bullet is off center slightly.

This load will produce MOA accuracy, but the lopsided bulge is bothering me now that I've noticed it. Am I doing something wrong or is there a problem with my dies?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Brass has been oversized a bit. When it is shot, the bulge will be fired out. Not much you can do about it with new brass, but when you reload, you can back your dies off to partially resize only enough to get good bullet tension. .45-70 dies have enough taper in them so you can do this.

It'll not only get rid of the bulge, but you will get longer case life because you won't be overworking the brass.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
This is a little trick that may help.......seat partially, back the lever down and rotate the case, seat partially and repeat until the bullet is seated.

May or may not help you but it's working for me with the WW cases.

Perferator

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
Leftoverdj is right.
The only way I got it to stop was not turning the die all the way down.
Start with the die quite a bit up, size the case. Keep turning it down until the neck tension will not let you push the bullet in buy hand. At that point you are very close.
Let me know what happens

·
Registered
912 Posts
hi, your xpander die-- give it another 1/4, 1/2 turn clockwise........that was all it took for my win cases!......hope this helps...larry

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all of you for the tips. I will try them all and let you know how they turned out. Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts