Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everytime I shoulder my 444 I wonder if it is a little long because I have fairly long arms and it feels kinda uncomfortable. I measured it and from the end of the recoil pad to the trigger it likes about a 16th being 14 inches. Is this about normal. Don't get me wrong I love this iron and wouldn't part with it for anything , well almost anything.

What is the average LOP for a 444?

Regards
Horseshoe

·
Super Moderator
15,870 Posts
horseshoe said:
Everytime I shoulder my 444 I wonder if it is a little long because I have fairly long arms and it feels kinda uncomfortable. I measured it and from the end of the recoil pad to the trigger it likes about a 16th being 14 inches. Is this about normal. Don't get me wrong I love this iron and wouldn't part with it for anything , well almost anything.

What is the average LOP for a 444?

Regards
Horseshoe
My 1966 444T measures 13 15/16"
My 1988 444SS measures 13¾"
This years raffle gun (the last 444SS off the original Marlin® assembly line) measures 13¾"

·
Registered
356 Posts
IMO, you need to make a gun stock fit you, and not the other way around. They do this with Perazzi shotguns that cost as much as 500 or 600 or so Marlin 444's. Again IMO, a Marlin 444 is not ever going to be worth enough to not justify forming it to your body. This will lead to less shooter fatigue, better accuracy, and will probably drop the resale down some too, oh well.

Figure out your length of pull by going to a gunsmith and using some of the guns he has set up for this purpose. Then you can fine tune your particular gun so that with either iron or scope sights your eye comes in perfect alignment on target when the gun is snapped to your shoulder. You can do this yourself too, but might be better to take it in and have them set it up for you. Might as well get the cheek weld done too. Have a decent butt pad fitted at this time.

I added butt pads to all of mine, and took off about an inch of wood apiece, they are right under 14 inches now...but set up for me.
Take care!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts