Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the beginning of summer I purchased a new Marlin 39A. Overall I am pleased with the rifle but it has one minor problem I didn’t notice when buying it, the fore-end has some slight wiggle. I took the fore-end off and checked all the screws and fittings everything looked okay. I reassembled and it still had the wiggle. I took it apart again but this time I reassembled it with a piece of rubber band placed under the fore-end cap. This defiantly solved the wiggle problem but I suspect it is a short-term fix at best.

Should I call up Marlin to see if they will repair the rifle for such a minor defect? Is there another, more long-term way, to fix the wiggle? Or is it something I just don't need to worry about?

Thanks!

·
Registered
187 Posts
I wouldnt worry about it too much. Every lever action i have had some wobble, (2 marlins, 1 winchester) I fixed the problem by applying bedding compound at the contact points but you can use gorilla glue as well.

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
What has happened is the wood has dried out a little, and as wood dries, it shrinks. Guns stored in a safe with a Goldenrod will experience the same thing. The easiest fix is as Mr. Joe said - and the best time to do it is in the winter, when the air is at it's driest. I usually mix up a little bedding compound ( I use AcraGlas gel), and apply a very small amount to each end of the forearm at the wood/metal interface areas, and reassemble as usual (BE SURE TO APPLY A RELEASE AGENT TO ALL METAL SURFACES THAT MAY COME IN CONTACT WITH THE EPOXY) . When the epoxy cures, a day or two, then it should stay nice and tight after that. I usually do every Marlin I have the first winter they come to live with me. If you would like, I can email you a few pice of where to place the epoxy.........

Shum8

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
My early 50's 39-A had a bit of wiggle in the forearm as well. I gave the tenon a mild rap through a brass drift punch, and it tightened it up. It's been 4 years or so since I did that, and still no wiggle....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Stock wiggle is not good.. forearm means not binding the barrel.. and is good for accuracy standpoint..

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Re: wiggle in stock

Ridge Runner said:
I have a slight wiggle in my stock that is bugging me. Should I use Accraglass on it as well????
I'd try running up the tang screw a little tighter before modifying the in-letting...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mr. Joe said:
... I fixed the problem by applying bedding compound at the contact points but you can use gorilla glue as well.
Gorilla Glue? Won't that "glue" the forend to the barrel?

Regards Bill :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts