Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
When you say loose forend are you referring to the forarm stock, the mag tube, ??? Which style do you have, band or end cap. Where is it loose at the end cap/band, at the receiver, has the wood been changed ie a larger calibur forend on a smaller callibur rifle will leave a gap between wood and magazine/barrel. Need just a bit more info.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a band-type and there is a very slight wiggle to the wooden forend stock around the entire magazine/barrell. I believe it is the original forend; however, I did buy the gun used. Any advice would be appreciated... thanks...

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Simple things first, dissasemble the forearm mag tube and check the screws to see if any are stripped, when you check the wood you can usually tell if it is oversized as it should fit with no slop. Sounds like there may be some slop in the tube connector on the rifle, if so you can tighten it in the slot by cutting a pop can and making a shim to tighten it up in the slot in the barrel. Someone may have replaced it without a good fit. If the wood is oversized I would look for a new forearm to replace it as it will be simpler then trying to bed the wood. Let us know what you find when you pull the stock and someone can help you from there.

·
Registered
566 Posts
A slight for and aft play is good in that it lets you know that there is no solid contact between the reciever and the pin going thru the forarm and the grooves in the magazine tube and barrel. meaning the main cause of vertical stringing isn't present. If the fron band is a bit loose also then I think the previous owner may have had it accurized by getting rid of the stress points between the magazine tube and forearm on the barrel. How does it shoot?

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
My 336/35 Rem. has the same wiggle in the forend. I just assume it is due to the wood drying out and shrinking a little. I bought the gun in (humid) Wisconsin and brought it to (ultra-dry) Wyoming four years ago.

It only bugs me when I am handling it around the house/shop. Never notice it in the field. Shoots fine. So there you have it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Bought a used basket case 1894 in 44 mag last year. I overpaid for it ($330) but I had been looking for one and this one was a 76', the year I was born so I had to have it. It has a Williams peep on it. The barrel must have rusted once on top and the previous owner looks to have took light sand paper to it. The barrel appears to be indexed too far as the peep is about 1/8" to the left to shoot straight. The extractor looks to be bent and the gun must have had a round jam in the chamber because it is all boogered up at the front of the ejection port like someone was prying on it. And last of all the forearm was loose. After getting it home I almost took it back and was a little disgusted that I let myself buy something like this. The next day I took it out to see if it even shoots straight. Keep in mind that I have never used a peep sight before, just scopes. I'll be darned if I could miss with this thing!

Anyway, the loose forearm bugged me the most and if I was going to keep it this would have to be remedied. I took the screws out of the band and found that the tenon was not all of the way in the dovetail. I popped it in and it is tight as new.

Ryan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the replies... I took off the forend.... the backend fits snuggly in the receiver pocket; however, the front band is loose around the front of the forend.... it appears the wood has either shrank, worn, or was intentionally loosened as such to remove any stresses on the barrel (as someone mentioned above)..... I was able to shim a tiny piece of rubber under the band to make up for the slack without imposing any interference with getting the tenon back through the band/forend/barrel/magazine..... I don't like handling the gun with a loose forend... I don't know why but it really bothers me.... and none of my other Marlins have this slop and they are all very accurate....

I'll take it to the range to make sure it's grouping..... I haven't shot the gun yet to know how well it grouped before.... (oops???).... If it doesn't group satisfactorily, I can easily remove the shim and get it back to original condition to understand the effect.....

I'll post my results.... and thanx again....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts