Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Looks like you northern folks will soon have your own piggie problem

4K views 26 replies 20 participants last post by  edcknives 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Guns we got plenty of and our SBR laws are actually better than the US, I have a home in BC and Texas so I got a pretty good understanding. Where Canada falls down is that AR15 and pistols are under a restricted license and are range only toys.......

The pigs have been a issue for a number of years now and the other stupid law is no hunting at night even if they are vermin, no tags needed, no bag limit, open year round but you can’t shoot at night so they flourish......

#4 ·
Hmmmm - seems to me that I have heard of such creatures roaming about our northern borders in the more forested areas of our fair state! However, I cannot confirm nor deny this rumor. To quote Agent Scully from X-Files-"The truth is out there, but so are lies" (not so much maybe) Agent Scully also said, "Nothing happens in contradiction to nature." (not that I was ever a big fan of the X-Files mind you! !@!":burnout:

#6 ·
Preach Brother!
That is in fact the cold hard truth here in Texas.
Piss and moan about how much damage but they want to charge you ridiculous fees.
They were so bad at one point near Luling that they actually had bounties on them.
You think the farmers who's crops were being destroyed welcomed hunters? Nope
Wanted minimum $250 to walk the property.

#10 ·
Never been any doubt that true eastern asian pigs could survive in the north. The Amur tiger in far eastern Siberia ( as well as the Amur leopard) have been munching these little piggies since the beginning. Snow starts in eastern Siberia in October, ends in May, temps well below -40F sometimes closer to -60, so the mild temps here ( I seldom see -40F, most winters only hit -30 a few times) should pose no problems. Personally, I'd be in favor of total eradication of the white tail population in this state, introduce real wild Russian boar, Amur tiger and leopard to help trim the excess, and have way better hunting than we currently have. The wolf population has trimmed the whitetail population in the northern parts of this state to less than huntable populations ( a couple of counties had more wolf killed deer than hunter killed last year!), CWD has spread state wide, with no way to eradicate it, so get rid of the diseased game, introduce game not likely to acquire CWD, since the prions can live in the soil for over 25 years, and get things moving! Maybe introduce Saiga antelope to NoDak too! That would be a hoot!

#14 ·
I shot a couple feral hogs in central VA about 10 years ago. They were near Culpepper. People are releasing them by accident or on purpose. As they breed they will eventually be found in all of the lower 48. I have no doubt. None here in MD yet, but I'd give it 10 years and they'll start showing up. Sounds like the big woolys from up north will be quite a hunt too.

V

#15 ·
Nothing but a real pain in the arse here in S.C., legal to bait for deer here, but if you do, you will be feeding those lousy suckers. Between them and the dadblame bears, the land I've been hunting has gone to crap, I went from a high of seeing 60 to 70 deer a year to less than 20, just my opinion, but with so many hogs and bears, the deer avoid cornpiles. T Rex

#17 ·
Any animal that is introduced into this area would be shot out in a few months if it is good eating. That’s why Turkeys and geese are plentiful here.
I know that “ native “ razor back is poor eating. The hawgs grown for pay to hunt outfits are decent eaters, called boar. Haven’t ate one of these feral hawgs yet to give my opinion. I don’t want to hear from beer and crockpot crowd. You can drink enough beer and cook anything long enough in crockpot to get down you neck. That don’t mean it’s good.

#18 ·
lol - I had a guy in Nevada once feed me some peccary he'd shot and smoked.
Nasty didn't begin to cover it.
What people are calling "boars" is simply domesticated pigs gone wild.

Reactions: Maineiac
#19 ·
I got a buddy who will smoke anything that will slow down long enough for him to build a fire under it. A few years back I helped him get a bushel of White Horse suckers. Custom is to cook them down and can for sucker patties. A few will pickle fish but not my Bud. He smoked them and made Sucker Jerky. If you’ve ever done a project with hot glue gun and held extra stick of glue in your teeth you know what it taste like.

#23 ·
I would have said same about Texans 10 years ago.
The problem is that many of these ranches are way too big. The Texas early days saw a lot of folks claiming a lot more territory than was "fair".
Now the folks that inherited these humongous ranches are being crowded by development.
There's a domino effect when some heirs sell a ranch or portion to developers. Then property taxes start increasing for the ranches on the boundaries.
Soon they can't just coast on token property taxes and they look for ways to make more money.
Hunting. More than a few have put up fences and stock exotics to hunt. Oryx are popular as well as Atlas deer.
Piggies are free and people think "bacon! ummmmm".

#22 ·
I live in Michigan and a few years back the DNR was spreading the message that wild pigs were on the verge of over running the state and deer, turkey, and grouse hunting would forever be changed. Being an avid deer hunter, I never saw a pig, never saw any evidence of a wild pig, never met anybody who saw one, shot one, or ever saw any news article about any pigs being harvested in Michigan. Now they are peddling Chronic Wasting Disease as the “death” the sport. Hard to have confidence in the agency these days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.