Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope I'm not bragging to soon because I have not tried it yet. But I just received my LEE pot back from the factory. It's a Pro 4-20. Having had to send it back because it stopped heating. They only asked questions they asked about it was, what was wrong with it, not where did you buy it or do you have the receipt? I give them props for that. It is now back in my hands and in a short time, and I like that too. Looks brand new.
Can't wait to try it out. Steve

·
Super Moderator
9,347 Posts
Great news

·
Premium Member
18,171 Posts
I've dealt with Lee quite a bit over the years, always seem to get the same lady on the phone, she sounds like someone's sweet old grandma, and she always gets me what I need. No arguing, very few questions, just as helpful as can be. I bet I've had reason to call them a couple dozen times, always came away satisfied and feeling appreciated.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got to try out my new "returned" melting pot tonight. Glad to have it back. The valve arm linkage works better (smoother) but still drips sometimes. The heating coil was the problem, so time will tell on that. Cranked out about a hundred .358 FRN and water quenched. This seemed to work pretty good on the .44 but have not range tested these in .358 yet.
Still learning a lot about mixing alloy but glad I marked and cataloged each batch I smelted. I am noticing that the sound that two ingots make when "clanked" together tells me a lot about the purity of the metal. Wheel weights make a definite clink and soft lead makes a thud. The shot that I started with is somewhere in between.
So much to learn and so much fun.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Cowboy,

Just a comment as to the various alloys you have on hand. That is like my stash, but the point of my comment is that in almost all cases, the attempt to make some other alloy was wasted effort and left me with a lot of alloys with no real use.

For handgun, 95% plus of your shooting can be done very well with something as simple as Wheel Weights.

I have gone at the recommendation of my 465gr mold maker, to a 50/50 - WW/lead alloy for the 45/70, but the other mixes just set there.

I bought a large cast iron pot before I began a major smelting effort a few weeks back and I'm thinking strongly about putting all these left overs into the big pot and then using the ingots for general shooting.

Some of the mixes are WW with some tin added (waste of good tin) another is WW with the addition of 25% Linotype, and another I have marked as 1-1-1 which as I recall is a 1/3 WW, 1/3 linotype and a 1/3 mystery metal.

As said, wasted effort and nothing gained, so smelting it all together would give an alloy harder the WW, but hopefully close enough that the alloy would not give issues for seating gas checks.

Maybe the best would be to only use plain base molds for this mixed alloy which would possibly simplify the gas check issue.

Maybe a good tip for any casters who mix alloys is do like I did before my recent smelt, buy a cheap set of metal stamps from Harbor Freight. The 1000+lbs of my recent smelting efforts is now all marked for easy future identification.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Crusty,
I stamp all of my ingots as well, WW 50/50 Pure I dont have to mark my Pewter as I have a muffin tin that makes them 1lb so I know how much to drop in the pot when mixing alloy. I have a few molds that will drop small if I dont add the extra Tin. oh and I have a big pile of ZC (zinc contaminated) I should know better then to buy WW alloy off FeeBay....

Doc

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Doc,

I think my stamps are the 1/2" size. Being cheap I can see that they wouldn't last well on hard metals, but they should out last me stamping lead alloys.

Think maybe (?) I'll fire up the old Coleman stove today and cast some more boolits.

All that alloy, should do something with it.

Figure sometime later I'll fire up the turkey fryer again and smelt all the mystery metals together. It they don't fill the big pot, think I'll keep adding WW until the pot is full just to balance out the mix towards a WW alloy as far as possible.

I came up with a 5 gal plastic bucket full and a second one about half full with skimmings and steel wheel clips during the BIG SMELT.

Sure have a nice pile of ingots begging to be made into boolits.

Been short of .38/.357 boolits, so will run a couple of those molds along with the new triple 4 mold.

Looks like it could be a good casting day.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.