Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Looking to Purchase a 336 30-30

4K views 57 replies 27 participants last post by  Ret_Eng 
#1 ·
Hello all...

Been a long time reader of this web site and signed up last night after I talked myself (and my wife) into getting a 336

Lots of talk here about picking up a used one and might save a bunch off of what Cabela's, Gander Mountain, & others would want retail: $529 for the 336C

Two quick questions/comments:
  1. Problem is that I have no idea what to look for in a used rifle and can see myself getting ripped off easily
  2. Saw many comments regarding the older Marlins - with a JM stamp. What is the problem with a newer Marlin vs the older originals exactly?
Any good reason not to pick up a new 336 for a guy like who is unfamiliar with this firearm?

I've seen used-pricing ranging from $200 and up but I can't make a call as to why one is cheaper than another (aside from the obvious wear, scratches, ....)

Thanks in advance for any insight

See less See more
#2 ·
Check your local Gun/pawn shops, look for the JM stamp on the barrel just in front of the receiver. If the gun looks unabused and the action functions smoothly and a look down the bore with a bore light looks good you pretty much cant go wrong. Currently clean .30-30 336 Marlins are selling in the $325-425 range and of course you want as good a deal as you can find but I think anything in that range is a fair price. Some of the newer Remington mfg Marlins often have quality control issues with fit finish and function.

#3 ·
The problem with a used gun is that you don't know how well it will shoot and function until you've already bought it. Not often will you be able to try out a gun before you buy it.

The problem with a new gun is the same. But it comes with a warranty.

In a perfect world, a new 336 would be the way for you to go. But if you read enough on this forum, you'll find that buying a new Marlin and getting a really good gun isn't exactly a slam dunk.

I don't want to steer you away from a 336 Marlin but Browning makes lever actions, too, and they seem to be of much higher quality. For a new shooter, that may be a safer bet.

#25 ·
I don't want to steer you away from a 336 Marlin but Browning makes lever actions, too, and they seem to be of much higher quality. For a new shooter, that may be a safer bet.
The BLR is a great rifle, by all means, but I would not advise getting one. The rack and pinion type action of the lever is... chunky. It's very smooth, but in two distinct stages (pre and post hammer cock). I just don't really prefer it.

My thoughts are coming from the fact that around the time I bought my 336 (a "Remlin" - works great, I love it) my friend bought a Browning BLR in .223.

In addition, you cannot completely disassemble a BLR. A complete cleaning requires a trip back to Browning. In contrast, I can completely strip my 336, clean, and reassemble, all well watching Netflix in my living room.

#4 · (Edited)
I bought a new Marlin 336 in 2012 and after 3 returns to Remington for a very sticky lever action, they replaced it as per my request. The 336C that they sent me in Dec. 2012 has very nice fit and finish, loads, shoots and ejects well and is more accurate than the one that was sent back. I recently bought a used Marlin 336 for my son with a JM stamp manufactured in 2009 that shows like new. The gun loads, shoots and ejects like clockwork. I would gladly buy either gun in my possession over again but obviously not the one that was returned. I would highly recommend that you ask a family member or friend who is familiar with lever actions to help you find and look over a new or used Marlin before purchasing it. A new Marlin comes with a warranty and in my case, Remington made good on the warranty through replacement. I am very happy with the Marlin 336C replacement.

#5 ·
Thank you for the input... It's such a shame that a great tradition like this rifle can be messed up after so many years.

I'm just not seasoned enough to be comfortable examining a used rifle on my own and I'm not acquainted with anyone, either in the family or outside, who has any interest or enough knowledge to help

I checked the Brownings, and they don't appear the have a 30-30 although they are a great looking firearm

Any thoughts on the Henry models?

#6 ·
Any thoughts on the Henry models?
I was just about to mention Henry. Henry's are great guns and have a proven record on customer service, if ever needed. The main difference is they are Tube Fed instead of having a Side Loading Gate. I would buy a used JM Marlin myself, but if you definitely want a brand new gun, Henry would be a great choice. There is even a Henry site that you could join for more info if you would like.

Welcome to the site by the way.

Bill

#7 ·
Henry makes a really nice looking 30-30 lever gun, and at a fair price. Made in America too! Everyone here loves our Marlins, but if you read the signatures, most of us own rifles other than Marlins too.

Welcome to the Forum. Its a great place to hang out, no matter what kind of Lever Gun you own. There's so much knowledge here, you will learn something every time to stop by if you take the time to read through the Active Topics, read up on Reloading or check out the caliber or manufacturer specific threads. Lots to learn, so little time. :idea:

Cheers!

Mike T.

#8 ·
Ferggadabout Henry and new Remington stamped marlin rifles. Find a used Marlin without the cross bolt safety that is not visably beaten or rusted up on the out side an buy it for $300 or less. Look at the screws; if they are really buggered, take $50 off the price. If the gun has not been "improved" by a kitchen table gunsmith and is not rusted shut, you will find that it will serve you well. I doubt that you will find any of the older Marlins to function or shoot badly. JM; buy with confidence.

#10 · (Edited)
Thanks for the welcomes...

Pass on Henry - didn't realize it was tube fed. Can't say why but I much prefer the idea of a side load.

So back to the 336 (that's a good thing)

Interesting: what's the issue with the cross bolt safety? Was just looking at one - JM on barrel, looked well cared for and came with 200 rounds but had the cross bolt safety. Stay away from that?

How involved is it to "refurbish" the 336? If I were to find a used one that needed some love, are parts readily available?

I have a Mod 60 that I've been playing with for about a year... Nothing fancy - just sanding/polishing the action and stuff.

Different firearm, I know, but is the 336 something that can be spruced up without breaking the bank?

#14 ·
William... You've made a number of purchases on gunbroker? That's reassuring. Earlier posting about watching for rust and messed up screws makes perfect sense and I'm can handle that easily enough.

With the transfers and shipping, I figure that's another $100 or so on top of the price

I'll keep looking there and reading through these forums

I did like that the look of that 336 I mentioned earlier but that cross bolt safety sounds like a deal killer?

#15 ·
Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from Louisiana!!!!I can't add to nothing that hasn't already been said!!!! Good Luck

#16 ·
Welcome Finz!

Here's my two cents worth.

First, the crossbolt safety is not necessarily a deal killer. Some folks just don't like them :)

Second, I have found most guys on this site to be straight shooters. We all love our Marlin's. I would suggest you watch the "For Sale" section here on MO and get one from a member that looks nice and is described as functioning perfectly.

I have yet to be let down with anything I have bought from a member here. Try that approach and you'll probably end up with a dandy rifle.

RD

#17 ·
Fins wake... welcome to the forum!!! you asked about working on and modifying a 336.. I am a relatively new Marlin and rifle owner, just getting into shooting... the 336 is a simple action to take down, clean and adjust... the folks who engineered and built the action obviously held simplicity of design in high regard...

I can't speak to the safety as mine does not have one... someasay they like them, others don't... the safety can be replaced with a delete kit if it is not to your liking...

as far as fit and finish, check that the wood to metal fit is good... the wood and metal should come together without visible gaps (even a gap of 1/16 or so is plainly visible)... the tang and reciever joint to the butt stock should be flush (the metal should be no higher or lower than the wood)... make sure the stock and fore end are tight with no wobble... Like others said, a rifle with clean screw heads has probably been cared for (or never disassembled)...

purchase a bore light and take it with you to look at the bore... if it is bright and clean, it's a good sign the gun was cared for.. minor rust on the metal can be cleaned up fairly easy... scratches and dents in the wood are character marks IMO... and they can be removed and refinished fairly simply if you enjoy a bit of woodworking and finishing...

as I ramble on with early morning brain, I recall that one of our esteemed members (former employee at Marlin) put all this together in a previous post found here:

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/new-reference-material/39549-buying-used-marlin-tomray.html

I say go for the Marlin.. whether a JM stamped or one of the new Rem made in good shape will be a joy to own, shoot and pass along to the next generation of shooters...

enjoy the search and enjoy the rifle!!!

Reactions: jackdaniels
#18 ·
Try Armslist, there is a dealer in Arizona [I think] that had 4 new 30-30 Marlins for 300.00 each. Your shipping and FFL charges should be from 50.00 - 70.00, 100.00 is outrageous. Even being Remlins for the price you can buy new stocks and have what you want for a very good price. Or just buy one and send it back to Remlin if it is bad, at 300 I could send it back a few times.

Something to consider, the crossbolt safety. Is it bad or is it because it makes their beloved Marlin different ? I feel most don't like it because it is different and we humans don't like changes.

You should really open your eyes to the Henry. They are a very well made gun that at this time Marlin can only dream of and you get a LIFETIME warranty. That means when you leave it to your grand children and something is wrong with it they will fix it FREE. And it has a GOOD trigger already and the lever action functions beautifully. And the fear of a tube feed has got to be the biggest joke. Again it is different from a centerfire Marlin, that does not make it bad. How many of you have or have had a gun with a tube feed ? I'll bet most of us have and you were fine with it then. Plus you don't have the scratched up receiver from trying to feed the ugly loading gate on the side of your receiver. :biggrin:

#20 ·
I greatly appreciate all of the help and input. Even had a PM from a member giving me a heads up a local shop I should keep my eye on.

In retrospect, that tube fed comment was snobbish, I suppose. My Mod 60 is tube fed and has never been an issue and the Henry's are what caught my eye as a lever action to begin with. The Lifetime Warranty is a huge plus (forgot about that)...

Suppose now I'll have have to buy both...?! Officially addicted now

Easy enough to check the For Sale section here... Wasn't even aware this existed.

Thanks, too, for the review highlights and link Papa Vid - very helpful

I'll keep an eye on Armslist also... Figured there had to more that just Gunbroker and now I have another lead

You already know what a great and helpful site this is but I'll say it anyway - this place is great. You all have been very generous with your comments and it's greatly appreciated

I'll keep this thread updated with my progress and please keep those cards and letters coming - as was mentioned, I'm learning a great deal from some great folks

Thanks again and have a great day

#21 ·

Hey Finz

You place too much emphasis on the warranty. Only inferior products need a warranty and older marlins are not inferior.

Your concerns about the Hammer Block Safety are also unfounded. It allows you to load and unload the rifle in a safe manner....is that a bad thing? Some folks don't like change.......they probably don't like radial tires....or cell phones.....or smokeless powder, to name a few. I don't know of many modern day firearms that do not have a safety.

I would buy any Marlin that has not been abused that falls in the 15 to 93 (first 2 digits) serial number range. 15 being 1985 and 93 being 2007, learn to know the manufacturing dates.

JB

#22 ·
Thanks JB...

I was looking for detail behind the serial numbers but got distracted - will find out about that... Good tip om the first 2 numbers - I'll make a note of that

With regard to cross bolt safety, frankly, I didn't even know what that was until I looked - i was reacting to what another poster mentioned. I'm not fussy either way

Warranty? Not sure I agree with you there... every product is subject to the Monday-Morning-Special. Two relatively identical products - one with, one without a strong warranty? All other things being equal, strong warranty gets my $$ everytime

#24 ·
You can get a good one for a good price if you are patient. The condition of the exterior can tell you a lot about how the weapon has been cared for. The best place to find a reasonably priced one would be from a private sale. I have found the best buyers market to be about 3 weeks before Christmas as people are looking for some extra cash. Patience has never been one of my virtues.

#26 ·
Sure you can disassemble a BLR. If you bought a takedown model, you can clean the barrel from the breech by simply taking it apart--flip one lever. You never need to take it any further apart than that anyway.

But if you're determined to take it apart, it can be done. This is for the pre-81; I'm sure there's a field manual for the newer BLR's:

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/field_service_manual/browning_blr_pre_81_field_service_manual.pdf

I'm not saying a .30-30 Marlin isn't a good gun--it is, and I own one. But it has its limitations. If I'd bought a BLR in .308 instead, I probably would have never bought another high-power rifle. Eventually, most hunters will want something with a little more range than the .30-30 has to offer and the .308 fills that need very well. My point is that with the Browning, you get a much higher quality rifle, in a better caliber to boot.

#27 ·
One thing about a used Marlin 30-30 they are a deer rifle and most folks that buy them use them once a year. They may look old and abused but that is mostly on the outside.

The inners are generally new as far as mechanical condition is concerned. I have a 1949 and a 1947 Model 36 I also have a 1970 they all appear to have about the same amount of use.

Buy a used one from a pawn shop haggle a little for the best deal citing the same thing can be had at a Wal Mart for around $350 new. It may look ugly on the out side and it may have 20-50 years of cleanable dirt and dried up lube on the inside.

The big chain stores Cabelas and the like, want a premium price for everything on their racks compared to the older mom and pop local stores and pawn shops. Looking in local newspapers and state firearm oriented web sights are a good place to go also.

Here we have Michigan Gun Owners many guns with face to face sales available. Look for something similar in your state and go shopping. We also have an excellent Trading Post near the bottom of the page with members guns for sale.

#28 ·
Without having read every single entry in this entire thread - you may also want to consider a Rossi Rio Grande in 30-30. Seems to be an almost exact Marlin 336 design copy - from my personal look at them they are very well made with very nice wood fit and finish and a buttery-smooth action. Also comes with a factory installed rail mount system for either open (iron) sights or easily adding a scope. I know Dick's Sporting Goods carries them at the least - (probably Cabelas, Academy and Bass Pro as well)

Just as FYI for SA (situational awareness) and curiosity sake:

https://www.google.com/search?q=rio+grande+30-30&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-Address&ie=&oe=

Reactions: jackdaniels
#31 ·
Good stuff...

WAHunter... Makes perfect sense but here, too, patience is not something I've never had much use for... :)

Swany - I'd much rather go local instead of the big box stores and you make an excellent point with regard to the firearm's usage. I'm definitely going in the direction of purchasing used. But then there's that patience impediment again!

I'm in no urgent rush but, to be perfectly honest, I've got the bug. The snow is almost gone and I'm anxious to get outdoors with something other than a snow blower in my hands. And I don't relish playing with my Mod 60 as the 22lr I have stashed is too hard to replace... Presently

Tar Heel - I've seen the Rossi's but didn't look closely. I will look into them a little more closely and thanks for the link

The 30-30 vs .308 issue is something I've been toying with for a couple of weeks. I think the 30.06 is too much for me. From what I understand, the ammo is readily available but with such range is not something I can take advantage of..yet

Same with the .308. In NJ to VT, given the terrain, would a .308 offer me anything more than the 30-30?

If you haven't determined this already, I am about as green to guns as you can get so if my comments/thought processes appear stupid, I apologize in advance but I really am a babe in the woods when it comes to this stuff

Many thanks for all the great input... I'm loving this site!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.