Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am brand new here and looking for some wisdom and guidance. I have been shopping for a Marlin 39a for some time now. I have realized there are many variations. My local dealer just got one in from "an old guy" and knew I have been looking for one so he called me. He's selling it for $500.00.
Im not sure exactly what it is but these are the facts.
-Very nice wood with the bullseye. No slings or hardware for them. buttplate appears to be metal with no markings. There is no white ivory between butt and buttplate.
-There is NO serial number!!
-Metal is in great condition with no rust but light patina is present.
-Bore looks shiny
- The only markings on the gun is on left side of barrel it says in script "Marlin Firearms Co, CT...." There is no model designation on the gun.
-The gun has been tapped for a scope and there are 4 small plug screws in the tapped holes on the left side of the barrel next to the rear iron sight.

Can anybody tell me what this gun may be? Im slightly concerned with there being NO serial number and no model designation. My gunsmith says it was made between 1946-1950. Is this correct? The gun is really nice and I want to buy it. Thanks

·
Registered
210 Posts
Pictures always help. It should have the Model designation on the barrel, the Model 39's had it on the tang, SN would be under the lever on the lower tang or on the upper tang. They all came with a SN, which without how does your gunsmith come up between 1946-1950?

Tim

·
Registered
292 Posts
Let me just suggest that you take off the butt plate and check underneath. Many of us old farts would put owner info and other stuff under the butt plate. I am currently in the process of stashing several different size apertures under one of mine. Most of my rifles have my business card under the butt plate, with the serial number also on it.

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
I just learned last night from a fellow member that, the 39 that Marlin made for Sears is one that has the barrel drilled and tapped for a scope mount that Sears sold. I might be inclined to offer a little less because of that. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
278 Posts
T would be 1960 . However , it looks to me like there is something stamped in front of TT.

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts
I don't believe them are tees but they are 1's just to the left of the first wear mark I detect what looks like a faint 0.

Remove your butt stock and check the left side of the upper tang and also the left side of the wood for numbers. If they correspond with the 1's that likely is our serial number.

That first mark is likely the letter designating year of manufacture. Check and see if the bolt has been engraved also.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.