Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states, I am in search of X7/XS7 components to complete a custom build. The base model rifle is actually a Remington 783. Go ahead, let me have it. After discovering from Darkker and others that the bolt heads between the 783 and the X-series rifles are interchangeable, I began a quest to identify ALL of the compatible components between the two. I really wanted an X7 in .223 to complement my Ares SCR. Thank you Remington for destroying another fantastic rifle. One day while perusing the local Gander with a co-worker, I decided to try an X7 7mm-08 bolt in a 783 7mm-08 action. To my absolute delight, the bolt slid into the receiver exceptionally smooth, the sear engaged the firing pin and the bolt rotated down into the locked position. I bought the 783 because of the solid receiver tube. Of course the 32 year old "gun guru" standing behind the counter thought I was the dumbest person in the world, telling me that bolt only works in the X7. Any gunsmith worth his certification can tell you any part can work in almost any gun, it just depends on how much modification is required.

A few weeks later I invited a friend to go shooting with me, with his .223 X7. After some persuading he allowed me to borrow his bolt. Out came the gauges. After very little headspacing, the bolt seemed to work perfectly. I loaded a few dummies and cycled the bolt. Everything worked. Allowing me to test fire took considerably more convincing, but the bottle of Scotch deal-sweetener finally persuaded him to concede. Eureka!!! I love the X7 fluted bolt. The round knob on the bolt handle is miles ahead of the craptastic cast steel paddle on the 783. And the bolt plug, well it's just sleeker and more pleasing to my eyes. That brings me to the point of this post. After exhausting all of my sources of supply for gun parts, I have been unable to find a short action bolt body. Numrich has the long action for $79.95. I could buy that and remachine it until it works. I would, however, rather obtain the correct part. Does anyone here know of any source I might buy one? Marlington Consumer Services directed me to a service center about an hour and a half away from me, only they say they have to fit the bolt body to the rifle. Since the part is not going into a Marlin, I'm SOL. I would even be willing to pay for a Marlin owner to say he or she "lost" theirs so they might sent their rifle to a service center to obtain a new one.

I do hope someone on here can help me with this. If this post needs to be moved somewhere else, just let me know. Thanks all.

·
Banned
297 Posts
You can buy a whole X7 243 from Bud's, change the bolt head and part out the rest. When Remington sent me my new X7 trigger assembly ( battle royal) the nice tech told me they were about out of X7 parts.

Not sure the prize is worth the quest. There are a lot of "tactical" 223s out there that are superior to any "Remlin" you could build.

"Fitting" the bolt to the action is pure BS. The bolt head floats and is pushed back into the locking lug recesses when the cartridge is chambered.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I agree the "fitting" is complete crap. The only thing that would need to be checked would be headspacing, which I am fully capable of doing here in my shop. Unfortunately Marlington restricts this part as much as they can to minimize potential legal issues, which is understandable to a certain degree given the state of the average American's thought process. Too many professional victims destroying our ENTIRE culture, not just guns. As to the tactical .223 builds better than the Remlin, sure there are I just don't have the money to spend on the base rifle, then all the required upgrades. My 783 is a dang fine shooter, and it was cheap to boot. The term tactical is tossed around far too much these days. Not looking to give Chris Kyle a run for his money. This thing is more of a learning experience project. As to the prize not being worth the quest, when one is on a quest for knowledge, the knowledge is the prize. Knowledge comes not at the end of a journey but from the journey itself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts