Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the forum and the 1895gbl - been reading through the info. on the heavy cast bullets and trying to come up with a load that I can use in Africa. I'm a PH over there and although carry a .416 rigby as my usual back up, I want to try out the 45-70 for non dangerous situations when I'm tramping about the bush opening up roads and doing game counts.

Here's what I have:
Cast Perf - 405 and 460 grn
BTB - 405 and 525's
JB Young - 420's and 550's

Powders - IMR4198 and 3031, H4198 and 322, Reloader 7

Brass is new Starline
Primers - rem, win and federal

I really wanted to settle on one bullet above 400gr and a powder that is not going be too sensitive to the heat and misuse us PH's put our ammo thru. As some may know, the regular .458 mag had powder and pressure problems in the African heat and I wonder if I can avoid this with the full loads these hjeavy bullets require.

If I have to shoot, it will be in the 25 yard range, max 50 yards so I'm not looking for distance - I'm looking for something that is going give an elephant a nasty headache. I don't know if I can avoid too much recoil with these bullets but that would also be nice seeing the distance I am shooting.

I head over to Mozambique end May and am loading up some tests now - any advice and experience you guys have with these heavy craters would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Howdy bwanapete and welcome to MO. :)

Perhaps some info from R.G. would help here.
http://www.garrettcartridges.com/penetration.html

I’m running the hard-cast 425gr Ranch Dog bullet in my GBL at ~1450fps…In the heat like you’re talking, I’d look at one of Hodgdon’s Extreme powders…I chose H4895, easy on the shoulder, and enough power to properly ventilate a bear, if the need arises.

Good Luck 8)

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the pointers everyone, - I like the heavy cast bullets - they have a good feel about them, as if they were made for big game and a hint of nostalgia about them too.

Does anyone think it worth loading in Winchester brass as it has a higher capacity hence a less compressed load space? I'm new to the reloading scene so just wondering if it will make a big difference.
Thanks
Pete

·
Premium Member
4,169 Posts
The Starline should be fine...I've used Remington mostly, and the lower case capacity hasn't hurt any that I can tell, but it will be more noticeable with the really heavy bullets (525-550 grains).

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Pete,

With the load being equal in both cases – the Win brass should show a lesser pressure than the Starline brass… I have not done side by side test over the chronograph to see what the velocity diff is.

I would say your biggest challenge will be - finding some loads that shoot well here in the states, and then hauling them half way around the world to see if they work there… There are just too many variables that will affect ballistics, both internal and external…

8)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.