Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm thinking of pulling out the 336XLR that's been sitting around a while (Hey this is the "one too many" Marlin that I never get around to shooting) and mounting the Redfield scope I recently liberated from the Ruger .308. I'm thinking some quick release rings, so I can use one of those (weaver style base) ghost/peeps. Problem is, I've seen'em but I can't find'em now. Like to find one in "quick release" too, so I can go back & forth. Anybody see them around?

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
What you need is the Williams "Ace in the hole"... it has integrated rear peep (adjustable windage/elevation) I have one on my "70" t-4 with QR rings, (30mm) and a Leupold VXR Patrol 1X4 30mm scope. best setup for me (so far) and I've tried quite a few.

Reactions: 444Hal

·
Registered
673 Posts
The Williams Ace-in-the-Hole is the best setup I have found, also. I have one on my 1895 with Warne QD rings and a Leupold 2 X 7 X 33. I have mine mounted with high rings so I can leave the peep in place. It worked fine with low rings. If you do that, though, you have to scribe the peep base so you can re-attach it. I went to the high rings so I did not have to keep up with the peep. Some think the high rings are too high, but works for me.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
I used the Beartooth method on a 444P, it worked swell. The Ace in the Hole looks great too though. I like the FP model that you can zero, note where the index marks are, then crank it down, ( remove the aperture) out of the way of a scope. then if needed, crank it back up to zero index, and even the threaded aperture makes a great ghost ring. Good luck to you.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
I got to thinking about it, and I found my "Beartooth set up" base! It will fit the 336 I have coming, so I am going to set it up the same way. I like the Weaver QD rings as they are bit more streamlined than the lever style QD rings I've used. I don't set up a rifle like this to swap scope/peep a lot, just like the option already on the rifle. Thanks for reminding me! ha

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Most any base made to be compatible with the Weaver bases will do a good job of returning to zero. The trick is a duplicate degree of tightening the ring on the base. With Weaver rings, I find that a quarter used as a screwdriver gives me consistent results.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.