Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, this is my first post as a member. I just joined as I bought an XS7 .308 today which was on sale for $199.
I have many other firearms for hunting but, couldn't pass up this deal. I still need to mount a scope.
Anyways, I drew a Mule Deer Permit for HD510 in Montana, which comprises the Custer National Forest, Pryor Mountain Range & Wild Mustang Range.
I am disabled and my hunting partner moved to Oregon for work so, I'm all by myself now and this district is difficult terrain.

There are only 200 permits issued and last year they had a 100% success rate.
This hunting district is restricted, therefore the Deer are mostly Trophy worthy.
Being disabled, it's a challenge especially in such rough terrain.
If there is anyone in the area who would be willing to help a disabled hunter take advantage of this opportunity for a Trophy Mule Deer Buck.
Please let me know if you would be interested in hunting with me.
I live in Bridger, MT 59014 which is just on the edge of the Pryor's.
Gods Country.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Disappointed that not one response was received. Well I guess I'll do as best as I can.

Hello everyone, this is my first post as a member. I just joined as I bought an XS7 .308 today which was on sale for $199.
I have many other firearms for hunting but, couldn't pass up this deal. I still need to mount a scope.
Anyways, I drew a Mule Deer Permit for HD510 in Montana, which comprises the Custer National Forest, Pryor Mountain Range & Wild Mustang Range.
I am disabled and my hunting partner moved to Oregon for work so, I'm all by myself now and this district is difficult terrain.

There are only 200 permits issued and last year they had a 100% success rate.
This hunting district is restricted, therefore the Deer are mostly Trophy worthy.
Being disabled, it's a challenge especially in such rough terrain.
If there is anyone in the area who would be willing to help a disabled hunter take advantage of this opportunity for a Trophy Mule Deer Buck.
Please let me know if you would be interested in hunting with me.
I live in Bridger, MT 59014 which is just on the edge of the Pryor's.
View attachment 118461

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I think your problem is that there are only 199 other possible hunters for the area and many or most of them have hunting partners as you once had. How many of them are on this forum? If I had a ticket, I might offer to go with you but as I don't, there is not a lot I can do.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Bump it to the top.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think your problem is that there are only 199 other possible hunters for the area and many or most of them have hunting partners as you once had. How many of them are on this forum? If I had a ticket, I might offer to go with you but as I don't, there is not a lot I can do.
Hi Dan, thanks for the response. Thing is, it's not an area limited to only Mule Deer Buck Permit owners.
It's open to all hunters, you just need a permit for a Buck.
The area is open to all hunters. The only thing about the area is it's very remote which limits the hunter population.
There are Bear, Elk, Sheep & Deer as well as the wild horses (which aren't for hunting but, shows the remoteness of the area).
There is one WMA property which isn't as far in to the mountains which I might give a try. It's about 3500 acres.
I have a friend who is a professional hunting guide who says the best place is the Dry Head area, which is the most remote area.
Unfortunately, He will be working just south of this area in Wyoming and can't assist me.
My other professional hunting guide friend who helped me last year is in Oregon this year.
I'll just have to give it a try on my own.
I have a Caldwell deadshot fieldpod, which will allow me to sit & watch over an area without having to do much walking.
My biggest problem will be retrieving the animal & field dressing it to get it back home.
The season starts on Oct. 25 & I'm heading out to the range today to practice using the fieldpod.
It sets up fast and is stable but, I haven't used it much so I need to know if I can pick it up & move easy if I need to.
I'll be using my Weatherby vanguard .270 with a vortex scope. I can shoot fairly well without aid but, when it's windy & I have to hold the rifle up for a bit, I start shaking. With the fieldpod, all that is eliminated & should allow me to take a kill shot.
If I'm successful I'll post up some pictures.
Thanks again, Richard

·
Premium Member
12,138 Posts
Richard, I just got around to reading this post.

Went right through Montana earlier this month on my way to hunt mule deer & pronghorn in Wyoming.

Would like to help, but am really pushed for time & money. Pretty well maxed out my hunting time and money this year. And I've got my own "trophy" mule deer hunt starting here November 1st in Washington.

Doggone it, if I wasn't so pushed for time & money, I'd do it just to see the Pryors!

Best of luck, Guy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts