Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a Marlin 444 XLR, prefer new, but would look at used. Live in Ohio and we can now hunt with the .444 Marlin caliber. Anyone know who has one or where I can buy one? No retailers around here have any. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Yea, good luck, buddy. No offense but 444 XLR is a rare critter. People that find one keep a tight grip on them. They do pop up now and again, so you might get lucky.
If you notice a hint of sarcasm, it's only because I have been waiting a few years to have one fall in my lap.
Seriously, I wish you luck in finding one, with a hope that you share pics and future stories.

Reactions: rooterpig

·
Premium Member
13,306 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
There were not too many of them made before the takeover so they command a premium when one pops up on Gunbroker. There are 2 there now, they and all the ones that I've seen lately on there are $1100+.
You can pick up a fine 444 for half that price but if your heart is set on the XLR I feel your pain, because I want one too.

Reactions: mt_sourdough

·
Registered
800 Posts
Ha! ha! ha! ha! ha! ha! ha! ha! ha! ha! ha! ha! ha! ha! ha! ha! ha! ha! ha! :biggrin: They may make a few this year starting in May but whether any XLR's will be in that group is doubtful.:hmmmm: But we like the way you think. :congrats:If you do get to look at a used one be prepared to pay about it's weight in gold if it is priced like other hard to get models of Marlins in today's market.:driver: Thank Goodness we live in America, anything is possible.:tee:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Might wanna hold out for a JM stamped one made before remington took over with their quality issues.

I was able to do just that by scouring the gun broker ads and other trading sites.
I found this one on the outdoors trader dot com.

The .444 is the bottom one with the silver scope.....I nabbed it for $600.00 and could have got a matching .410 XLR stainless with brown laminate for the same price and highly regret I was not able to afford both.

The top one is a .308 MXLR. And it's a tack driver.

I hate to do this to you but it may inspire to to find one that much faster, but also if you're patient and put some feelers out you will find one.
Just as someone above mentioned I often think how easily I could trade or sell mine then I immediately dismiss the notion of insanity while thinking of the utter regret I will feel if I ever did something so disgustingly stupid.....lol.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Might wanna hold out for a JM stamped one made before remington took over with their quality issues.

I was able to do just that by scouring the gun broker ads and other trading sites.
I found this one on the outdoors trader dot com.
The .444 is the bottom one with the silver scope.....I nabbed it for $600.00 and could have got a matching .410 XLR stainless with brown laminate for the same price and highly regret I was not able to afford both.
The top one is a .308 MXLR. And it's a tack driver.
I hate to do this to you but it may inspire to to find one that much faster, but also if you're patient and put some feelers out you will find one.
Just as someone above mentioned I often think how easily I could trade or sell mine then I immediately dismiss the notion of insanity while thinking of the utter regret I will feel if I ever did something so disgustingly stupid.....lol.
You got one for $600? WOW!!! I'd call you brilliant, but you left the 410 behind and you didn't pick the winning lottery numbers.:tee:

Where's the leather from?

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
I bought a NIB 444 xlr a few years back for 630$ otd.My best advice on you wanting to buy one would be to put 1200$ cash in your wallet . Visit all gun stores and when you find one ... Buy it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I don't know which is crazier, that they one on gunbroker is listed at 1200 or that it has 8 bids on it already.

Welcome to the forum!
There were not too many of them made before the takeover so they command a premium when one pops up on Gunbroker. There are 2 there now, they and all the ones that I've seen lately on there are $1100+.
You can pick up a fine 444 for half that price but if your heart is set on the XLR I feel your pain, because I want one too.

·
Registered
241 Posts
So does Remington have these in production or will they does anyone know?
Oh wow, wait, let me get the popcorn and get comfortable before this begins....

Seriously, you are going to wait a long time for this gun. Just be aware of that, and if you do find a new one that was remington made be sure to strip it and inspect it. You can find pages and pages of info on the differences between Marlin and Remington made marlins, production issues, ammo shortages etc.

I hope for your sake I am wrong. But you won't find a 444 within two states of ohio for quite a while, let alone an XLR.

Food for thought, I have a 336xlr and had to get the finish dulled to hunt with it. I shone like a lighthouse in the sun.

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Oh wow, wait, let me get the popcorn and get comfortable before this begins....

Seriously, you are going to wait a long time for this gun. Just be aware of that, and if you do find a new one that was remington made be sure to strip it and inspect it. You can find pages and pages of info on the differences between Marlin and Remington made marlins, production issues, ammo shortages etc.

I hope for your sake I am wrong. But you won't find a 444 within two states of ohio for quite a while, let alone an XLR.

Food for thought, I have a 336xlr and had to get the finish dulled to hunt with it. I shone like a lighthouse in the sun.

Good luck in your search.
I feel confident he will find one if he puts out some want ads and scours the trading sites.

·
Premium Member
13,306 Posts
I don't know which is crazier, that they one on gunbroker is listed at 1200 or that it has 8 bids on it already.
The cheapest XLR that has sold on GunBroker this year was one for $900 and all of the others have been $1100+.
The problem is when a few guys that really want something get into a bidding war that everyone else sees, people think that is the new premium price to ask for. Sometimes the money is so high that people that don't "need" to sell theirs will list them at highly inflated prices to see if they get lucky too.

·
Registered
800 Posts
heh! Buckeye 1, Don't let us discourage you from looking. I would like nothing better than for you to find an XLR just like you want for the price you want to pay. You definately have good taste in rifles. So go for it and when you get it; put up pictures and make us eat crow. The XLR's that Marlin built were some of the best shooting rifles they produced and those that own them can attest to that. Also welcome to the 444 forum, we look forward to sharing with you in the future.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Great taste in guns...but I will not let mine go it is a keeper. I got mine on a close out at Sportsman's Warehouse in North MS several years ago. Seems that 444 was not a good seller in that market. A friend worked there and knew I wanted it. He let me know when it went on mark down and I zipped over to pick one up.

I added the SBL lever to mine and it is now my go to All Weather gun here in Denver. Cold weather big gloves, no problem now.

**** luck on the quest.
Ken

Gun Revolver Trigger Airsoft gun
Gun Firearm Trigger Shotgun Air gun

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Yea the XLR 's are the cat's meow
I have been fortunate to find 3 LNIB XLR's first a 2007 1895M XLR 450 Then a 2006 444XLR and Finally a 1895XLR 45/70 2006 all for 550.00 or less.
Now time is on your side its just the Can you wait part:vollkommenauf:

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
I did see 2 444s today in a store in Tulsa. Not XLR, they are blued. But they also had 2 or 3 Stainless 45-70s one with the big loop. I'm sure they would ship to Ohio. The 444s were newer, not JM guns, but this place gets the guns that have gone to the shot show etc. So they have been out on tables, or maybe shot by gun writers. I think the 444s were priced at $530.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.