Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LOOKING FOR LOADS FOR 160 GN FTX HORNADY MARLIN 30/30 LEVER ACTION AND 200 GRAIN HORNADY MARLIN .338 FTX EXPRESS LEVER ACTION :
The ideal powder for these is the Hodgdon LeverEvolution powder which is impossible to get in Australia. I was told by ADI who manufacture many of the Hodgdon powders on sub-contract that the Hodgdon LeverEvolution powder burn rate is mid way between their ADI AR 2009 (slower) and ADI AR 2008 (faster). I looked really hard to find that Vhita Vuori N540 fits the bill being midway but I can not find any reloading charts for this powder and the projjies quoted above. Anybody loaded VV N540 for the projjies above and have some good reliable load data?
Cheers, John Heugh [email protected]

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Not sure of it's ADI designation, but 32gr of Varget with the 160g FTX shoots very VERY well (3/4" scoped groups at 100meters, 2" to 2-1/2" at 200meters) out of my 336XLR with a Muzzle Velocity of 2200fps. We even tried on some 500m rams at Raton and hit it "more than 50% of the time" shooting offhand ("for grins/giggles", not in competition).... Again, this was out of the 336XLR.

I've also shot the same load out of my 336A. I've not shot groups on paper with it but it performed well all the way to 250yards (hit a 24" plate 8 of 10 times from a sitting position using open sights).

My .02,

- Tim

·
Premium Member
17,014 Posts
Hey John,

Look here Burn Rate

Think BLC II and H 380 would serve nicely.

Later, Mark

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Thanks for the varget load. Now if someone would give us some more loads too try. -win. 748 H335 imr 4198 ect. thanks in advance. cheers :tee:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well thanks for your comments guys, much obliged but I am really looking for N540 load ranges for the Hornady FTX 30/30 160 grain and Hornady FTX .338 Express; I know a lot of other powders work ok but I believe that N540, at least in theory, ought work the best unless one can access Hodgdon LeverEvolution powder which is impossible to get in Australia.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts