Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I recently had a back injury and as a result I am looking to lighten up the recoil on my 1895. I have 405gr Rem Soft Points that I would like to use up and IMR 3031 powder. What can I do with this stuff? What do some others use for light loads? I was using 52 grains and I definitely want to lighten that up. How low can I go?

I see this on the Hodgdon website, is 51gr the lowest I can go? I punched in 400gr bullet weight, and IMR 3031 and it shows 51 as the starting gr's and 55 as the max load.

·
Registered
953 Posts
My Lyman # 49 shows a starting load of 46gr. of IMR 3031 and a 405gr JSP. I don't think that will get you low enough. If I were you, I would save those bullets and powder for when you heal. Find some 350gr cast bullets sized 459 and shoot them with about 12 gr of Unique.

Key

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
For light loads it's really tough to beat Trail Boss. It's extremely bulky, so much so that a normal 1 lb can only holds about 12 oz of TB. This extreme bulk does a great job of filling the big 45-70 case, eliminating any kind of position sensitivity or inconsistent burning.
If you want a little more oomph AA 5744 is very bulky but produces a bigger bang than TB.
I can't comment on Uniqe since I've not used it.
GH1:)

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Well, I recently had a back injury and as a result I am looking to lighten up the recoil on my 1895. I have 405gr Rem Soft Points that I would like to use up and IMR 3031 powder. What can I do with this stuff? What do some others use for light loads? I was using 52 grains and I definitely want to lighten that up. How low can I go?

I see this on the Hodgdon website, is 51gr the lowest I can go? I punched in 400gr bullet weight, and IMR 3031 and it shows 51 as the starting gr's and 55 as the max load.

I know you didn't mention this powder or weight bullet, but......................I hear tell a 300 gr Lazer Cast bullet from Orergon Trails, on top of 10 gr Unique makes a .45-70 round you can shoot until the cows come in and never fear pulling the trigger again. Great way to ease the impact on that back injury.

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
There is another......

How about Holy Black? Lower everything, fun to shoot, and you can save money shooting cast, while maintaining the penetration factor

·
Registered
3,383 Posts

·
Registered
3,383 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys this is all awesome info. If I can get this down to about 30-06 levels, I would be happy with that. Everything is healed up but I am still a bit stiff and don't want to re injure. I am in canada so I will have to see what I can get up here.
Looks like the trailboss is readily available here, yeah!!! Will take a look for some 405 Hard casts.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
jedimaster, you might want to consider casting your own boolits. It is fun, save money in the long run and you can do lots of tricks to make your shooting more fun and cheaper. Take care, John.

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Jedimaster

I hauled out my Lyman Reloading handbook 49th edition & page 308 (under trapdoot loads) I see 38grs of IMR3031 listed as a starting load for the 400gr jacketed FN. Velocity is listed at 1163. Remember the 95 Marlin will digest the lighter trapdoor loads just fine, I use a light load I got out of the trapdoor section & I love it.

I've loaded 35grs of IMR3031 behind a 405gr lead bullet for a chronographed 1088fps & that is a fun load. IMR3031 is one of those powders I've reduced the loads on & still had great accuracy & low velocities. I do get some unburned powder, but IMR3031 is a very good powder in the .45-70.

If you have the Lyman Reloading Handbook 49th edition look IMR3031 up, I think the Lyman Reloading Handbook 49th edition should be on every handloaders bookshelf, it has great info, lots of loads, loads for both lead & jacketed bullets, & is just a good reading manual as well.

Good luck, I like IMR3031

·
Premium Member
8,044 Posts
I have not been able to find any trail boss around these parts but did pick up some blue dot the other day. I found some data on reduced loads using blue dot and have loaded up various amounts to try. I plan on going to the farm this weekend and give them a go. I will hopefully report back next week on the accuracy of these loads. i beleive I got the load data from Ken Waters pet load book.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I don't have the info on the IMR 3031, but I have the powder and the same rounds as well as a crono to run tests. The only free brass I have is Horniday leverevulsion, so it would be data from that brass. What primers do you use? I have Winchester and Rem primers. Sems like some of my Rem primers have been duds lately. Are you wanting a load in the realm of the Factory loaded Rem 405? All the load data will come from the lee book 400 gr jacketed or based on One Book/One caliber, pg 18. Seems like this would be a good weekend project for me and I'm getting sick of testing my .308 for 180gr rounds. Let me know if you have all the matching components and I'll get started. I'm pretty thorough when it comes to testing.

-Craig

Attachments

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Hey Jedi another Canuck here and there is all kinds of lead bullet casters in Canada and powder is readily available as are primers. eh

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.