Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I currently own a Marlin 336W in .30-30 WIN. I will be stationed at Fort Richardson, AK (Anchorage, AK) for the next three years at least. I am looking for a good do all rifle to both hunt with and target shoot with (scout rifle concept?). I was thinking a .308 or .300 WIN bolt gun, but since I like my lever gun, I was thinking a Marlin 1895 in 45/70 Govt. would be a great option. All I'm looking for any suggestions on models be them 45/70 Govt. or not. Thanks.

kjzim88

·
Banned
1,519 Posts
up there is really one choice 1895GS. Its a stainless guide gun ! or you can get a 1895G which is a blue model. Either way its THE gun for Alaska!

·
Banned
1,519 Posts
up there is really one choice 1895GS. Its a stainless guide gun ! or you can get a 1895G which is a blue model. Either way its THE gun for Alaska!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I would go with the 1895 also. .338MX would be nice, but they are hard to find and pricey.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
I have a .450 guide gun in the for sale forums... ;)

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Try and find a place to look at the Guide Gun, the std 1895 and the XLR. Both the Guide Gun and the XLT come in stainless. Given the climate there, I would lean towards stainless.
The 450 Marlin has a bit more "oomph" than the 45-70 but ammo is more of an issue in both price and availability. It also delivers more recoil than the 45-70. Reloading for the 45-70 is the way to go but now several good loads are available, especially in heavy cast bullet loads. The Remington 405 grain factory is a decent round but is rather slow at 1330 fps. The 300 grain stuff runs a tad over 1800 fps but the 300 HP does open up a lot and quickly.
I can shoot about 30 rounds of full power reloads out of the Marlin before the recoil starts to effect me.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Don't forget to check out the 1895gbl. Same basic gun as the 1895g but has a pistol grip, big loop, and full mag tube. I love mine, the pistol grip is more comfortable than the straight stock, but to each his own.

Reactions: BillyTee

·
Premium Member
8,497 Posts
since you will be in COLD country...get the big loop --- easier with gloves ---45-70 --- stop in the wild west gun store they will hook you up...

·
Registered
166 Posts
The 45-70 would be great for hunting the big critters up there, but I don't know about doing a lot of target shooting with it. It will beat you up during extended range sessions. I you plan on not doing a ton of range work that's fine. If it were me I probably go with a Ruger GunSite Scout. 308 is less expensive and more readily available, doesn't beat you up, will drop really big critters and fits your scout rifle concept to a tee. My other option would be the Ruger Guide Gun in 338Win Mag or 375 Ruger. Although 375 Ruger is not very gentile either.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Tried for 20 years to get stationed there! 45-70 Guide Gun would be my choice of weapons. If you don't reload Buffalo Bore we be my choice of factory loads. If you reload then a good heavy weight cast WFN bullet. Doc Holiday has a good choice of bullets in his Tombstone line. I envy you sir!!!! Tom

·
Premium Member
11,669 Posts
kjzim88, welcome to Marlin Owners!

You've been to Alaska before?

Enjoy your time there. Get out and enjoy the superb fishing & hunting available in Alaska. It really is still a very special place.

Regards, Guy

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
The 45-70 would be great for hunting the big critters up there, but I don't know about doing a lot of target shooting with it. It will beat you up during extended range sessions. I you plan on not doing a ton of range work that's fine. If it were me I probably go with a Ruger GunSite Scout. 308 is less expensive and more readily available, doesn't beat you up, will drop really big critters and fits your scout rifle concept to a tee. My other option would be the Ruger Guide Gun in 338Win Mag or 375 Ruger. Although 375 Ruger is not very gentile either.
I dont know about AK, but .45-70 is a heck of a lot easier to get around here than .308. Those Ruger Gunsights are awesome though, granted I would rather have the .45-70 in big bear country.

·
Registered
577 Posts
444/45-70/450 will all do the trick. I'd suggest 45-70 for ammo availability and variety of youre not going to reload, and even if you are going to reload I'd still stick witht eh 45-70 lol.
Here's my set up, it doesnt have a scout scope... yet...

photo-2.JPG

Reactions: Dirty_Harry

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
444/45-70/450 will all do the trick. I'd suggest 45-70 for ammo availability and variety of youre not going to reload, and even if you are going to reload I'd still stick witht eh 45-70 lol.
Here's my set up, it doesnt have a scout scope... yet...

View attachment 60035
That is a beautiful setup! I am thinking of adding the big loop to my .450.

Reactions: hcdistad

·
Registered
198 Posts
Like this....

Attachments

·
Registered
577 Posts
That is a beautiful setup! I am thinking of adding the big loop to my .450.
Thanks Dirty,
That big loop is sweet, I highly suggest them. I got that WWG lever here from another member for a good price. And I got the rifle with the XS sights and rail all together from another member here last summer. And when the time comes, I'm sure I'll gt my scout scope here too!
I love this place. (I just got back from picking up my new to me 336SC 35rem from my local FFL that I bought from a member here last week)

·
Registered
54 Posts
I would like a big loop on my 1895GS. .45-70 is easy to shoot all day with Remington 405 & are packing one heck of a whollop. 300gr Federal Fusions & the 325gr Hornadys aren't a lot of fun offa bench, but that ain't what this gun is about.

Here's how I roll-

So glad I decided to finally try a red-dot. This is the 30mm from Primary Arms. Not too spendy, but accurate, holds zero, GREAT low light visibility & the .45-70 can't kill it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The question is do you want to hunt big brown bears or not? If not, then you're 30-30 will do just fine for anything you'd want to take up here...the natives did it for decades and they used them on polar bears. If you want to hunt big bears then a 45-70 would be a good compliment to your 30-30. But honestly, the best gun to have up here is a .30-06 with 180 grain bullets, imho.

·
Super Moderator
23,929 Posts
When I was stationed at Ft. Wainwright 20 years ago--there were basically two kinds of rifles people used. A Marlin 45-70 (in any of its different models) or a 300 Win Mag/338 Win Mag/375 H & H Mag. Either a large lever gun or bolt action Magnum will work. Just depends on your hunting situation and what you feel comfortable with. Even if you are way up north in the Brooks Range hunting caribou--when that rfile shot goes off--thats the dinner bell for a really big bad bruin. Just keep that in mind--when selecting a rifle for Alaska. And always hunt in a group--not a good idea going solo there!
I would not use a 30-30 up there except for target practice on a city rifle range. Many people don't understand that humans are not on top of the food chain there. You will need a long range rifle if you hunt north up in the tundra country. Shorter range stuff will work down in the river/delta areas.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts