Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
South Coast Safaris is a booking agent which will line you up for hunts anywhere that you wish to go. For example: a whitetail hunt in Nebraska or a hog hunt in Alabama, Georgia, Florida, or Texas. They only book hunts through highly reputable guides and outfitters. You will not be disappointed.

Florida is loaded with wild hogs since they produce big litters of piglets at least three times per year. No natural predators except humans. Florida panthers and bears don't really count as hog predators because their numbers are quite low in the state.

Call the numbers that I listed or visit their websites. Good hunting to you.

TR

·
Registered
439 Posts
There are several near me. I've hunted the area but not on the club land. This one has a good reputation and is reasonable. Nice facility. They also have a FB page with reviews.
Black River Plantation SC

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Wild hogs in Florida are live trapped by the hundreds within state parks, city parks, and private lands. They're sold to "high fence" hunting ranches and shot by hunters for a reasonable cost. This is a system that works to help reduce the wild hog population while providing pork to hunters. Those that would criticize this system likely have no idea of the problems related to wild hog populations in Florida. Wild hogs produce at least three litters per year and the litters contain up to a dozen piglets at a time.

TR

·
Registered
394 Posts
most "ranches" in Florida like TR says are fenced. anywhere that garuntees a pig or a no pay unless you kill, is a small acreage property. most of the larger operations will offer a few different styles of hunt depending on your ability and desire. Over bait, spot and stalk, dog and knife...A bonus you have with the ranch style hunts is you can relax. when ive gone its hunt for a few hours after sun up and a few hours before dusk. the rest of the time is enjoying my hunting party, fishing, shooting, avoiding responsibilities of married life.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Wild hogs in Florida are live trapped by the hundreds within state parks, city parks, and private lands. They're sold to "high fence" hunting ranches and shot by hunters for a reasonable cost. This is a system that works to help reduce the wild hog population while providing pork to hunters. Those that would criticize this system likely have no idea of the problems related to wild hog populations in Florida. Wild hogs produce at least three litters per year and the litters contain up to a dozen piglets at a time.

TR
Minor correction. Sows can litter every 5 months, which means 12 litters every 5 years. I used to keep a small swineherd.

But yeah, infant mortality is low, and assuming a very conservative estimate of piglets surviving to reproduce, one sow and her progeny will spawn 125-130 new pigs every five years. More likely in places like Florida and Texas is 250 new piggies every 5 years, or even more. If you assume 8 out of 12 piglets survive to reproduce, the 5 year growth is over 500 from that single original sow. There are online calculators that can verify, and it has been a while since I did it, but that seems to be about correct. So yeah, anybody that gripes about how we hunt feral hogs doesn't grasp the gravity of the problem, or they're emotion-driven and simply don't care, being set on their floating abstractions WRT ethics.

In contrast, a white tail doe and her progeny will spawn *maybe* 25 new deer in 5 years.

Reactions: Vooch

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Correction
assuming 2 female piglets survive to reproduce out of each successive litter, that's 4096 new pigs in 5 years. assuming 3 female piglets survive to reproduce in each successive litter, the number is 531,441 in 5 years (12 litters). of course, they don't all survive to reproduce for 5 years, so the numbers are somewhere south of there. still some very large numbers.

if 7 sows survive the 5 years out of each 4 successive litters, we're looking at about 800 new SOWS every 5 years.

that's what we're up against.

Reactions: rr11 and Longbow14

·
Registered
939 Posts
Yup Sgt Z - the exponential math associated with hog reproduction if there are no control measures (hunting, trapping...) in place is really something that folks who don't deal with them cannot quite comprehend.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Many of the florida hunts are canned. Alligator alley does both wild and canned...don't know about the others.
Fenced doesn't mean "canned." I respectfully request you not use that word. We understand what you mean, but non-hunters get the retarded idea that the animals are chained down to a stake or in a small pen and don't have any opportunity to escape.

I've hunted more than a few high-fence ranches over here, and the hunts were no easier than they are on my family place in Louisiana.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I am referring specifically to canned hunts - tiny chunk of land, high fence, trapped animals released into this enclosure for easy shooting.

Canned is the only appropriate word I know of to describe it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.