Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all!!

Hey, I'm a forum newbie.
I just wanted everyone's advice on the BEST overall bulk-type(big box), ammo I should try in my new 795?
I'm looking for reliability in feeding/firing, mostly.

I know CCI is the best, but it's pricey.

I also know that each rifle is different, and cleaning is important to the equation, as well.

Thanks in advance!

Good to be among friends....

~G

·
Registered
11,038 Posts
My 10-22 like federal 22 auto & fed red eagle. Also welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
For bulk my two favorite are Federal Automatch and Blazer

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
Welcome from SW Ohio.

Not sure what you mean by reliable...

i havent had a .22LR fail to go bang for more years than I can remember. Any manufacturer. Thousands and thousands of rounds.

If you mean ability to feed and cycle in your action, a lot of that will depend upon your rifle and how you keep it. When your 795 gets beyond dirty and on to filthy, that will affect function and "reliability".

Recoil of your ammo will also affect cycling. Some ammo with lower velocity and/or lighter bullets may not have enough oophh to cycle every time. Not all auto loaders do well with standard velocity rounds.

Nothing to do there but to try different products.

Not all guns will eat every type of ammo, and that's not just limited to .22 LR.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
RANGE REPORT:

Hey, here is my range report after 480 rounds through my new Marlin 795.
I installed Tech Sights & Uncle Mike's swivels, with a cotton OD M1/M14-type sling.

I exclusively used Aguila 38gr HV hollow points(1280fps).
My wife & I experienced ZERO jams & ZERO misfires after two visits to the local range. We shot 330 rnds the first time, and 150 rnds the last time.
I cleaned the rifle between visits.
We were getting 3" groups, firing free standing(w/o sling), & rapid fire(1 shot per second), at 25yrds!!!!
Totally happy & heartily recommend this rifle & this ammo!!!!

~G

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Hi, all!!

Hey, I'm a forum newbie.
I just wanted everyone's advice on the BEST overall bulk-type(big box), ammo I should try in my new 795?
I'm looking for reliability in feeding/firing, mostly.

I know CCI is the best, but it's pricey.

I also know that each rifle is different, and cleaning is important to the equation, as well.

Thanks in advance!

Good to be among friends....

~G
GFWalter,

Many semi-auto's do not cycle standard velocity ammo reliably. I would suggest the Federal white box Auto Match designed for semi auto's or the Federal American Eagle high velocity ammo. Both work well for me in a wide variety of actions, semi auto, bolt, and single shot. Buy in a small quantity locally first and find what it likes best.

I see you also live in a State that will not allow mail order ammo any more. We used to be able to buy out of state and ship in ammo in case bulk. Not any more.

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
Are you restricted to shooting non-lead ammo in your area of California? If so, that really limits your options.

Generally, though, more rounds you can buy, the less the cost per round.

Most LGS only sell individual boxes (50) or may have a carton of Blazers (325-550). But once you find something your rifle shoots well, remember it and buy a supply of that one. With high velocity, I've found Federal HV Match to be a lot more accurate than most other HV rounds. (Standard velocity is overall much more accurate than high velocity, and the highest quality competition .22 ammo is standard vel.). However, don't count on standard velocity ammo to reliably cycle your 795 every time. I'd save the specialty ammo--shot shells, hyper velocity, segmented rounds, Aguila 60gr, etc--for a bolt action.

Talk to shooters, or check to see if there are any shops in your area that sell to small bore target shooters. Those guys shoot tens of thousands of rounds a year. They are used to selling, not by the brick (500), but by the case (5000). Now, you may not be buying multiple cases, but that store will be more willing to order in a number of bricks, at least, in for you.

Reactions: GFWalter

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
CCI Blazers worked. Maybe 1-in-a-thousand was an underpowered load.

Reactions: GFWalter
1 - 20 of 29 Posts