Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like an allround gun. I'll be shooting marsh hens(rails)in the fall and Turkey in the spring... Quite a power stretch for one gun I suppose. I like the idea of CAS but that will require repowering in pistol and rifle.. I think. The older pumps w/ exposed hammer are pretty as well as the bolt actions but they might be a little slow on the second rd. Any thoughts are appreciated.
cw

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
If you use your hammer pump on turks, be very cautious about using the high brass short magnums. The old guns just aren't stout enough to take much of that. The old timers shot a lot of turks with the milder loads - just got closer! SW

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is somthing to worry about. I've seen the same model listed by two guys and ones killing the other is suggested for wall hanging.CYA?
cw

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
ON the exposed hammer pump shotguns Marlin put out a disclaimer about shooting them anymore. If you run a search there have been several postings on here on how to do the checks to make sure the old safeties are working and you might want to consider light loads for safety.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
You should be able to shoot rail with an old hammer pump - dove loads or trap loads should be able to do the job just fine. I took my model 24 after turks last week with dove loads, but the turks were away from home. SW

1 - 5 of 5 Posts