Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a 'new' guide gun and need some insight on serial numbers ie: I want to ensure I get the latest manufacturing dates. The idea being that the later ones are better made?

I can't find any information on the new 'MR' serial numbers. Are there any clues in the numbers or the last alpha character? I want to avoid any recycled ones from the early days of the 'Remlin' era.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I wish I could help you with this but I can't.
However, my ABL is one of the very first "Remlins". The barrel is Rep stamped but it still has the NewHaven CT address. The fit of the laminate stocks was very poor, but the all the metal parts of the gun and the blueing were perfect. No cycling problems or anything. I swapped out the laminate for a set of older JM walnut stocks and I am perfectly content with it now.
The reason I tell you all this is take each Remlin for what it is, and make a judgment call on sight. I am glad I took the chance on mine.

I wanted to add, that my local dealer has a brand new Remlin guide gun on the shelf that I would do a quick inspection of for you if you'd like. He is a great guy to deal with. Anyway good luck in your search

Reactions: samxboy

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Your Best bet is to stay Away from any of them with the MR ser# IMHO. If you want a well made gun that shoots and functions right, getcha an Original JM MARLIN! Sure you may pay more than a new Remlin, BUT, isn't it worth it for peace of mind...?
Just my opinion, but watch what the others say to.
Look in the Marlin Rant section of the forum and see why I say that....
You just need to be patient and hunt hard for what you want, they are out there still!

Good Luck
BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Th s/n on a Remington won't help you date it. There will be two small letters stamped in the barrel. Those are the date codes.

See here: Remington Society of America - questions/barrelcodes
Thanks for that. I think I've solved the puzzle in so far that same code appears on the box. In this case it's Aug, 2013, according to the barrel codes. What it does tell me is that a lot of the guide guns on gunbroker are from 2013....not sure if that is a good thing or not.....
Text Font Ticket

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.