Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm new to the forum and wanted to introduce myself. I've recently discovered the wonderful brotherhood of firearms ownership and over the past year have purchased a few guns that I liked shooting with no disappointment. Of those guns, my (by far favorite) has been my 7" S&W 686+. It's almost funny at how effortless it has been to acquire the target and follow the first shot with six others following in two inch or less groups inside of 40ft. From the moment I first shot a .357 round - I was blown away with the caliber (and gun). Having said all of that - I discovered the 1894CBSL. I try not to be (too) impulsive in life, but I believe most everyone can agree that there are times when love at first sight is just that - it happens. It happened with the 1894CBSL. Perhaps a childhood association, follow-up to the movie: A Christmas Story ("You'll put your eye out kid") or just the fact that it looks so frontiersman badass (think Sam Elliot's bedside gun?). Either way, I haven't even held the gun, or seen it in person - yet I still find myself being convinced that this should (needs to) be in my home. Hell, I look at it and see home protection, pleasure in shooting, as well as heirloom status for my kids...

So, with all that drivel - two questions: 1.) Am I getting ahead of myself in wanting this rifle sight unseen, and 2.) Why does it seem as if only 100 of the CBSL's were made and only three people want to sell them at 50% and up over the MSRP?

I'm concerned that production may have ended or that I am missing the proper retailer that could sell it to me for $1000.00 (or less?). Supply and demand is always present when we want or need something, yet still - I would hope there are more to be made and available to guys like me without having to go to GunBroker.com...

I'd appreciate any guidance the forum has, but to me - this lever action rifle has not left my mind since the day I stumbled across it. I can (and will) remain patient if I know that it is still in production with new ones on the way, but if not? Then the premium of $1200(ish) might be considered...

Thanks everyone.

Best, Christopher.

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
First welcome to firearms ownership and the good people it includes. Not sure on the production of the cbsl but there are a couple of CST's on Gunbroker. Unfortunately with all that is going on right now both gun and ammo prices are unstable. Don't be afraid of gunbroker either, just make sure you find a local FFL for the transfer at a reasonable rate

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Chip, I am new to all of this - except for the concept of market demand. Is there anyway to find out if the CBSL is still in production?

Thanks, Christopher.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Welcome from SE New Mexico. Pull up a chair and join the fun. Lots of good folks on here.

Like ChipM said, No need to be concerned about purchasing from GunBroker. I've never had a problem with what I've ordered, well except my wife's objections... Look at all the pictures. If someone only has 1 picture for something they're selling, I pass it right on by, especially in a used, new to you gun. Only one poorly taken, blurry picture or a series of blurry pictures makes me wary. My thought process is: What is the seller trying to hide? If I can only see one side, is it in the same condition or worse than the other. If blurry, again the same thing. I also have to wonder about the seller if the pictures were knowingly posted blurry, why weren't the pictures retaken?

With regards to the prices, I too have seen a firearm which would interest me, but certainly NOT at the asked for price. Some of it is, in my opinion, people asking/charging what they think the market would bear; some is plain old avaricious greed who operate on the PT Barnum philosophy. And, some who have something they think is a gold mine and out to make a fortune from the sale, but have no true idea of what can be purchased from the local gun shop. Just my 2 cents.

The Marlin site sure seems to indicate your desired rifle is still in production. Apparently it was introduced in 2018 and certainly in a popular caliber.

https://www.marlinfirearms.com/lever-action/model-1894/model-1894-csbl

·
Registered
27 Posts
I know where 2 maybe! They were there as of Friday. Are you willing to buy one before actually laying hands on it?Is it ok to reference them here? I haven't seen a rule against it, but I may have looked over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mine went back to Marlin twice. The second time they replaced the receiver and scratched up every screw. Said it was cut wrong. Took them 4 months. Now the bolt slides really good. And no more jams. Biggest problem now is finding ammo. I paid around $850-$900 new. That's over priced for the quality of the gun. But I do I love it.

This was my first lever action. Won't be my last. Might be my last Marlin. Trying Henry next.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Was on vacation last fall and stopped in a gun shop in that area and lo and behold they had one in .357 Mag. First one I'd seen and was in the market for a levergun. I had a JM Marlin 1895CSBL some time ago and loved it just was too much for what I wanted it for and too heavy for extended carry. The 1894CSBL was $980 and I was going to pass on it when my wife said go buy it, I'll pay for it. Well, did not have to ask me twice. Overall it was very good fit and finish. Only issue was the laser cut checkering on the forend was not "crisp" if you know what I mean. Otherwise looked good. I've since taken it apart and did a good deburr job. Other than that it's box stock. Shoots great and functions flawlessly. Go for it is my suggestion.

MIshooter

1 - 7 of 7 Posts