Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a gunsmith to work on my old 336 in 35 rem caliber. Its a ballard rifling gun that was made in the 50,s or 60's and may have a headspace problem. So I need an honest to goodness gunsmith not just someone that puts on scopes etc. I've replaced both firing pins, the extractor, firing pin spring, cleaned the firing pin holes etc and it still misfires. The gun is in really good shape and I don't see how it can be anything other than headspace but I really need a competent gunsmith to check it out and fix it.I'll ship anywhere to a "good smith" to do the work. Please leave a name address and phone #. Thank in advance, FRJ

·
Premium Member
9,465 Posts
When I wanted a gunsmith to build my wildcat caliber Marlin, I chose Harry McGowen of St. Anne, IL, 815 937 9816. He does very good work and is fairly reasonably priced. He only charged me about $1500 for the entire job, and that included both the donor rifle and a set of custom loading dies.

·
Premium Member
10,957 Posts
FRJ said:
I need a gunsmith to work on my old 336 in 35 rem caliber. Its a ballard rifling gun that was made in the 50,s or 60's and may have a headspace problem. So I need an honest to goodness gunsmith not just someone that puts on scopes etc. I've replaced both firing pins, the extractor, firing pin spring, cleaned the firing pin holes etc and it still misfires. The gun is in really good shape and I don't see how it can be anything other than headspace but I really need a competent gunsmith to check it out and fix it.I'll ship anywhere to a "good smith" to do the work. Please leave a name address and phone #. Thank in advance, FRJ

Is this mis-firing happening with factory ammo, or re-loaded ammo?...................If it's only re-loaded ammo, adjust your FL sizing die 1/2-3/4 of a turn UP. Depenting on the die design, you may be setting the shoulder back on the brass. The 35Rem headspaces on the shoulder, and if the shoulder is set back, it would create a headspace problem.

I don't FL size my 35 Rem brass..............I neck size only......

Tom

·
Banned
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replys so far guys but I have covered every thing except headspace that could be causing this problem/. I didn't mention it but the hammer spring has been replaced and shimmed to make it heavier. The ammo is all factory, Hornady, Remington and Federal all misfire at least 40% of the time.I've already spent more than I would for a new rifle trying to fix this one but I'm a stuborn old SOB and I like this rifle, I like the Ballard rifling and I like the genuine walnut stock and the machining of parts. I just need a real gunsmith to send it to and have it fixed. Its what I should have done in the first place but I'm just too stuborn for my own good.I will get this rifle to work or die trying, probably the later. FRJ

1 - 5 of 5 Posts