Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a 45/70 for a project, the condition isn't important, in fact, I'd prefer it be beat up lol.
I've got a project in mind, but need a starting point, I need the rifle lol.
I KNOW I'm in the right place as there are any number of guys, like me, who are afflicted with marlinitis.
Anyone who can point me in the right direction would be great!
As always, thanks in advance!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I would head to the local gun shows and look at Gunbroker.....plenty of old but very good JMs out there. For my project I found it at the local gun show then turned it over to my smithy.....two weeks later I couldn't be happier. Sighted it in before my last pig hunt and had three holes touching at 100....just about an inch above the bull.....exactly where I wanted. Gotta love the accuracy and utility of the Marlin 1895.

M

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got one thats still a work in progress, but that one is probably going to be a safe queen (got carried away with design work on the reciever lol). I've got a new project in mind now though, for a shooter, AND a looker, so I need to find an old beater :biggrin:. I'll check at the next show that comes through KC and see what I can find. Thanks!

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
I don't run across many used Marlin Model 1895 45-70's, and usually not one that I could actually afford!

Mike T.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm looking for a unicorn then :hmmmm: lol. Most folks take really good care of their 45/70's, but just like anything else, theres always someone out there who will abuse their possessions. I've seen any number of firearms over the years that have been rained on more times than I have lol. for this project, even one of those will work just fine. Its going to get completely reworked anyway, so I don't care what the condition is

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
In central Georgia, it would be easier to find uranium than an 1895 45-70 or a .444!

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
That might be a hard one to find at a bargain price. Even old beat up Marlin's are getting pretty good prices.... 30-30's. The JM 45-70's are getting pretty scarce. I purchased 2 (GS, SS) in the last couple of years and paid 550 and 560 for them respectively 2 years ago. The GS (550) came with 2 boxes of Buffalo Bore 500 gr. ammo so I got a great deal on it. Only 2 rounds were missing from the ammo and he bought the rifle new w/ the ammo. The second one is an SS model that was in excellent condition.

·
Super Moderator
8,044 Posts
being as you also got a box of BB 500 gr bullets with it it tells me the fella that shot those two bullets had had enough. those rounds will rattle your teeth. the first few i fired actually banged open the lever and pinched my finger under the trigger, it bit me pretty hard. since then I shoot those big boys out of the ruger #1.

Funny how folks will buy a rifle and find the biggest most powerful bullets to shoot first..................

Do not want to hijack this thread but wanted to chime in. I am sure at a gun show you will be able to find a donar rifle so you can build to your specs, also check the loacal pawn shops I find some very interesting firearms at pawn shops. Most of the guys behind the counter have NO IDEA what they have. I picked up a 336 32 special and the guy at the pawn shop thought it fired 32 acp rounds??????? I knew better and now own a real honey for cheap..........

That might be a hard one to find at a bargain price. Even old beat up Marlin's are getting pretty good prices.... 30-30's. The JM 45-70's are getting pretty scarce. I purchased 2 (GS, SS) in the last couple of years and paid 550 and 560 for them respectively 2 years ago. The GS (550) came with 2 boxes of Buffalo Bore 500 gr. ammo so I got a great deal on it. Only 2 rounds were missing from the ammo and he bought the rifle new w/ the ammo. The second one is an SS model that was in excellent condition.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
The guy was a bush pilot in Alaska. He kept it in his plane in case he was forced to land in a remote location and had it for personal protection. He was retiring and moving to Hawaii, so decided to sell it. I keep this rifle in Alaska and also use it for protection in the bush. You are correct. Many people buy these rifles and get way more bullet than they need. Personally, I shoot 350 grain bullets in my SS for hogs and deer. The GS is literally loaded for bear. Big bear. lol I added a skinner ghost ring sight to it and it is zeroed for 50 yards. When I stop traveling to Alaska I'll ship it home. For now I keep it there as a matter of convenience.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts