Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am awaiting delivery of a new 500S&W NEF rifle.
I have already got dies, bullets and brass. I cannot seem to locate any 500gr data. It is a Hornady bullet, so I figured they would have it but I cannot seem to find any. I dont think 1600 is to far from reality with the longer barrel, any ideas?????
I would prefer manufactures data, but home brews are welcome.

My intended purpose for the load is hunting. I need a close range sledgehammer. Some Whitetails, but mostly Hogs, Bears (over bait) and Moose are on the agenda.

Thanks,
CW

G

·
I got one of the Handi's in 500 and it in the hospital already :? Anyway I've loaded both of Hornady's bullets and both of Sierra's bullets. I got my data by looking on Hodgdon's webpage. I am using H110 for all 4 bullets . I also got one of Lymans new molds for this cartridge and they were kind enough to give me loading info for that cast bullet :!:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would really like to try LIL- GUN.
I also bought a LEE mold for the 50. It throws a 450 gr or so flat point. I haven't cast any with it as yet... I'll do some this winter. I usually only cast in the winter. I never had a LEE mold before, but it was cheap enough. So I figgured I would give it a try.

Yea, I have been waiting for the 500 since early March...the bugger has been paid for since then, just waiting for the dealer to get them in. I have five buddies and we all are waiting.

CW

·
Premium Member
12,008 Posts
Cast Performance Bullets out of Wyoming makes a great 440 grain flat nose gas-check bullet for the .500 S&W that shoots very well from my S&W revolver.

No, it's not 500 grains, but... It's accurate and shoots through 3' thick Douglas Fir stumps... That works for me. AA #9 makes for great mid range loads while H110 produces exceptional full-power loads. Hard to imagine a hog, bear, moose or whitetail that could take more than one or two well placed 440 grain .50 cal bullets...

Data on bullets up to 440 grains is pretty easy to come by. Over that, and you're out in a seldom reached area. There was a fellow over on the S&W forum that was loading some seriously heavy monster bullets in his .500 S&W right after it first hit production, like 500, 600 and even 700+ grain bullets! I don't know if that data is still available or not.

Regards, Guy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts