Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 336 Sc gets tecommended a bit. Was wondering why. Is the style a little more accurate or something without the bands? I kinda like the looks of the RC.

·
Premium Member
2,730 Posts
Halloween Jack said:
Some report experiencing better accuracy with the SC and A models. I think there's an aesthetic preference as well.
I believe Halloween Jack has the right prospective here. The Sporting Carbine (sc) has the 20" barrel and short magazine (2/3 mag) with the barrel bands. It a shorter version of the older 336A which has the 24" barrel and short magazine. Both tended to have the larger (fatter) forearms.

The short magazine tube does have aesthetic appeal to some (me included); and both models of the Marlin have been long time favorites of a lot of American hunters. Some prefer the heavy (fatter) forearms. There is no proof of better performance that I know of, but I tend to "think" that the end cap is a better set-up than the barrel bands for accuracy. But that is just my opinion! ::)

CJ

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
I do not like barrel bands, so the A models are for me. Most generally have birch stocks unless you are lucky to find a walnut A from the early '80s or the '50s. Best of all are the cowboy models .. Good luck.

Papalote

·
Premium Member
9,465 Posts
The Marlin that commenced my addiction is an SC, and I have come to really like them, as well as the old A's and ADL's. I believe that, all things being equal, the ones with the short magazines and the end caps instead of barrel bands, are a touch more accurate. Other than that, it's just an issue of aesthetics. Mind, I've got quite a few with barrel bands, and I like them fine, but there's just something about the SC's and A's and ADL's and all the others with the short magazines and end caps.

·
Banned
71 Posts
The ad explains all. An A for open country long range shooting. An RC for horse back or brush shooting. The SC is the perfect balance between the two, fast handling and accurate too. ;D

Hey Plumber - Check out this ad from 1949 8)

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Saved that ad, perfect for this thread, thanks.

My old faithful is an early straight stock 444S, or 336 chambered in 444 for this forum, with the RC uncapped forend and short 444 mag. That rifle is the perfect Canadian Bush rifle in my never humble opinion. Know a few moose and bear who no longer have an opinion. It is the one rifle that I am truly attached too.

I have been looking for a 32 Special in Canada for fun and cast shooting. The Marlin's I found were often SCs but always 30-30. I've put a 336 RC on my wish list and if a 35 ever showed up when I'm a little flush that would really round out my safe, 32-20, 32 Special, 35 Rem, 444 Marlin (always a little proud my cartridge carries the fine Marlin name).

Confession time, I bought a 1957 bone stock Win 94 in 32 Special this time. It has the right parts in the right places but it isn't a Marlin. I strayed but not too far. Thanks for all the help, what a great forum. See you all on the 444 page.

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
I wanted one in 35 Remington to go with my 336C and 336A. I just think they look like a "hunting" rifle.

And they just don't make them anymore.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Now that there is a beauty :eek: and i agree they don,t make them like that any more. Very nice sc and in 35 to boot.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very nice Halwg.

The condition is very good. I'm guessing from the comments that a 35 isn't a run of the mill find. The 35 just makes such sense up to closer moose. Bullet choices rivaling 30 cal, 200 gr slugs that whack but don't kick a weak mind stupid and balanced ballistics right in the cast sweet zone.

Did the older RCs ever come in a 35? Hunting a rifle is almost as much fun as hunting with a rifle.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Canuck Bob said:
Very nice Halwg.

The condition is very good. I'm guessing from the comments that a 35 isn't a run of the mill find. The 35 just makes such sense up to closer moose. Bullet choices rivaling 30 cal, 200 gr slugs that whack but don't kick a weak mind stupid and balanced ballistics right in the cast sweet zone.

Did the older RCs ever come in a 35? Hunting a rifle is almost as much fun as hunting with a rifle.
I have 4 old 336's and they are all RC's. One of them is a 35. It is my avatar on the left. I kinda have a thing for the RC's.

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
I'd love one in 30-30 so I could cut it down to an 18.5" barrel, change out to checkered straight stock & forearm. Bottom line it would make a great 30-30 Guide Gun. ;D

·
Registered
9,455 Posts
Halloween Jack said:
The ad explains all. An A for open country long range shooting. An RC for horse back or brush shooting. The SC is the perfect balance between the two, fast handling and accurate too. ;D

Hey Plumber - Check out this ad from 1949 8)
Thanks Jack, there are a few of us 49ers on here. I couldn't find a 1949, so I got a 1952. The only difference you can see is the lever.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts