Marlin Firearms Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
@Dr.Lou
Welcome to from central ND!
If I was in your neighborhood, I'd be running interference to try and get to the store before you!! I do happen to know where there is a supply of 32 brass!! Saw some on the shelf today at the LGS - brand new Hornady I believe.
Good Luck with your adventure.

Reactions: Dr.Lou

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Good morning everyone, new guy here
My LGS has a pristine 336 in 32 WS. I didn’t measure the barrel but it looks about 22”, perhaps 24” with an equally long magazine tube. They’re asking $649 plus tax. Just wanting to know from the experts if this is a fair price. 32 WS seems more popular here in Washington than Nevada or California. I am an avid reloader so ammo isn’t much of issue. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Lou
I just bought one a couple days ago that while it isn't "pristine", it's REAL nice - and I paid more than what you're talking about without second thought. I just got on this forum a minute ago just to brag about my latest toy. If that one you are looking at is still available, jump on it.

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Just noticed this thread and think you did well to buy one. For a hand loader the 32Special is a great rifle. Better in the carbine than the 30-30 in some ways. If you look in reloading manuals, the 20" barrel is used as a standard as compared to the 24 and 26" for the 30-30. So basically the 32 170 grain has the same velocity as the 150 grain 30-30. Typical actual chronographed velocities for factory ammo out of a 30-30 carbine is 2090 for the 170 grain. IN factory ammo you will get about the same for the 32 but handloads easily achieve over 2200 where one is pushing with the 30-30.
The 32 Sp was brought out by Winchester and then kind of neglected. The 30-30 was offered in two bullet weights and the 32 kept with the old original 170 grain. As it was originally advertised as a cartridge designed to split the difference between the 30-30 and the 30 Government (30-40 Krag) a lot more could have been done with it, like using 180 grain bullets or even190. As I have used them in a 30-30 it could have easily been done with the 32. Cartridge has a lot of potential.

DEP

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Just noticed this thread and think you did well to buy one. For a hand loader the 32Special is a great rifle. Better in the carbine than the 30-30 in some ways. If you look in reloading manuals, the 20" barrel is used as a standard as compared to the 24 and 26" for the 30-30. So basically the 32 170 grain has the same velocity as the 150 grain 30-30. Typical actual chronographed velocities for factory ammo out of a 30-30 carbine is 2090 for the 170 grain. IN factory ammo you will get about the same for the 32 but handloads easily achieve over 2200 where one is pushing with the 30-30.
The 32 Sp was brought out by Winchester and then kind of neglected. The 30-30 was offered in two bullet weights and the 32 kept with the old original 170 grain. As it was originally advertised as a cartridge designed to split the difference between the 30-30 and the 30 Government (30-40 Krag) a lot more could have been done with it, like using 180 grain bullets or even190. As I have used them in a 30-30 it could have easily been done with the 32. Cartridge has a lot of potential.

DEP
Thanks, I agree with your analysis
Besides being very clean and priced right for the current market, I like odd non-vanilla cartridges. A week after getting this one, I picked up a clean 1935 M64 in .32 to keep it company.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Good morning everyone, new guy here
My LGS has a pristine 336 in 32 WS. I didn’t measure the barrel but it looks about 22”, perhaps 24” with an equally long magazine tube. They’re asking $649 plus tax. Just wanting to know from the experts if this is a fair price. 32 WS seems more popular here in Washington than Nevada or California. I am an avid reloader so ammo isn’t much of issue. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Lou
I'd say go for it. I would.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts