Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Well it’s not as “absolutely pristine as I thought. With the exception of a SSN scribed next to the serial number and the sling stud 3” south of the bullseye, it’s pristine. I am definitely not as motivated as I was earlier. Deal breakers?
Dealer won’t budge on the price $649

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,324 Posts
It appears to be 1953, if it's the original lower tang. 1953, I think would still be a waffle top receiver? If so, is it drilled for a scope mount? If it's a drilled waffle top, then the price, IMHO, is a tad high. If it's not drilled & waffle top, grab it.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Welcome to MO from Midcoast Maine. SC's are my favorite. Did you buy it yet? Lets see some pictures!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Ok, now that I’ve had time to really look her over and give her a nice coat of Ren Wax, she really is in exceptional condition for being 68 years old. She has just enough character to show me it’s not her first prom. Now for a new bullseye, brass, bullets and dies.
AF168C60-8459-42F3-A597-4181A0471FC9.jpeg

·
Registered
16,334 Posts
Nice rifle. The lower tang is a separate piece. An expert can polish the SSN off, bead blast, and refinish the tang to blend in and look original.

Reactions: Maineiac

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Nice rifle. The lower tang is a separate piece. An expert can polish the SSN off, bead blast, and refinish the tang to blend in and look original.
Thanks!
It’s not visible with the lever closed and I hit it with a little Perma Blue so it’s even less visible. Once I get a new bullseye, I’ll be content. However, since I work for a firearms/ammo manufacturer, I bet one of guys could probably do as you suggested.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Nice! Not a waffle top, but not drilled, either. Well done! Check this out, one of Leverguns 50 newest vids compared Hornady’s .30-30 vs .32spl loads.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Welcome from PA, that’s a nice find. I have three winchesters chambered in 32 W.S., so I’m always on the lookout for a Marlin to add to that collection.
This should all be in the archives section, but I believe 52 was the last year for the waffletops and 57 was the first year where they came drilled and tapped as a standard feature. However, I’m pretty sure I read somewhere that Marlin offered drilling and tapping as an option from 53 and on, I guess it would depend on the distributor to order it that way.

Enjoy your new acquisition!

21 - 40 of 52 Posts