Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everyone, new guy here
My LGS has a pristine 336 in 32 WS. I didn’t measure the barrel but it looks about 22”, perhaps 24” with an equally long magazine tube. They’re asking $649 plus tax. Just wanting to know from the experts if this is a fair price. 32 WS seems more popular here in Washington than Nevada or California. I am an avid reloader so ammo isn’t much of issue. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Lou

·
Super Moderator
16,824 Posts
Welcome from Alabama... Pristine? I think I would have dislocated my elbow going for my wallet...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome from Alabama... Pristine? I think I would have dislocated my elbow going for my wallet...
Thanks! That’s the support I was looking for! :D
Yes, it’s absolutely pristine; it looks new, but definitely not refinished. The front sling swivel is clipped to the magazine tube instead of being screwed into the forend, is this typical?
I’ll head there first thing this morning.

·
Super Moderator
16,824 Posts
Marlin either made the front sling mount as part of the barrel band or it didn't come with one... So the clip on one is aftermarket...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Marlin either made the front sling mount as part of the barrel band or it didn't come with one... So the clip on one is aftermarket...
Thanks!
Yeah, it looks like an Uncle Mike’s or similar. It also has a brand new “old school” leather sling. The whole package looks like it hasn’t seen daylight since it was made. I know my description isn’t very detailed, but do you have an idea as to what specific model this is, e.g., 336xx?

·
Super Moderator
16,824 Posts
Pistol grip stock or straight stock?

·
Registered
962 Posts
If it has the swivel mount on the mag tube, look for where the rear one was drilled. It is commonly seen drilled right through the Bullseye. In this case that would be okay because you could remove all trace of the sling swivels and replace the Bullseye. As far as model variation, it is most likely a carbine with a barrel band, 20" barrel and magazine. The first letter in the s/n is what you need to figure out the age.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If it has the swivel mount on the mag tube, look for where the rear one was drilled. It is commonly seen drilled right through the Bullseye. In this case that would be okay because you could remove all trace of the sling swivels and replace the Bullseye. As far as model variation, it is most likely a carbine with a barrel band, 20" barrel and magazine. The first letter in the s/n is what you need to figure out the age.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Thanks
I’ll look closer and provide more information later today. Only the carbines have the equal length mag tube?

·
Super Moderator
24,925 Posts
Thanks
I’ll look closer and provide more information later today. Only the carbines have the equal length mag tube?
The regular carbines had a full length mag tube and a 20 inch barrel. The sporting carbines and rifle model (336A) had a 3/4 length mag tube and no barrel bands.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The regular carbines had a full length mag tube and a 20 inch barrel. The sporting carbines and rifle model (336A) had a 3/4 length mag tube and no barrel bands.
Thanks!
Which models/configuration is most desirable/rare?

·
Super Moderator
24,925 Posts
Thanks!
Which models/configuration is most desirable/rare?
The sporting carbine (336SC), rifle with 24 inch barrel (336A), deluxe rifle with 24 inch barrel (336ADL), deluxe sporting carbine (336SD) are all hard to find and usually cost more than the regular carbine (336RC). The deluxe models are the hardest to find and cost the most. My rifle models and sporting carbines shoot the best out of the models I own. I like them better than the regular carbines.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh, yeah. Ask these guys if you should buy. They'll tell you to buy this 336 and several more. Welcome to Enablers Central. It's not over. It never is.
Thanks!
I am confident the enablers are just as plentiful here as they are on the S & W or any of the forums. :)

·
Registered
16,334 Posts
Thanks!
I am confident the enablers are just as plentiful here as they are on the S & W or any of the forums. :)
It's not plentiful that counts. Numbers aren't the measure. It's quality and effectiveness that count. Those other enablers? Amateurs, Cub Scouts. These MO guys are World Class, and several classes above.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
It's not plentiful that counts. Numbers aren't the measure. It's quality and effectiveness. Those other enablers? Amateurs, Cub Scouts. These MO guys are World Class, and several classes above.
I think you’re right! :)
My first post and I was already influenced into calling my LDS to have them set it aside for further inspection. :)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts