Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you want to find a JM model, I would suggest following Gunbroker for a while. I found one that way and am quite happy with it. Yes, you may not find a great deal, but chances are that you can find one in good condition on Gunbroker.

And even if you do not find one there, it will give you an idea of what they are going for in case you come across one used. I have heard of guys finding great deals in pawn shops, gun shows, etc, but I do not see Marlins come up used very often where I live.

FWIW, I now have three JM Marlins that I have acquired that way, and all are good shooters. All are also in good condition despite the age, so I am happy.

Good luck on the search.

·
Registered
724 Posts
If you're a handloader -- and in particular if you cast your own -- the `94 in 45 Colt equals/ exceeds the 44 Mag/no extraction issues after nine years.
(Note also that my 45 will accurately handle 340gr at Ruger pressures, while my 44 tops out well under 300 apparently due to twist)

As to RemLins, inspect the rifle for the usual: metal to metal fit, metal-to-wood fit, front sight vertical, etc, etc, etc....
I've seen very good quality coming out in the last few years.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
If you can get a 1894 Cowboy Limited that would be very nice in 45LC with the 24inch Oct barrel and ballard rifling.

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
yes....have posted this pic before......chopped 2001 45 Colt CB....now 16"

have another in 20".......

what's the scoop on the 20" 45 Colt round barrels out there ?

Seen one from time to time on GB.....

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Check it out closely. Bring some snap caps and run them through several times if they will let you. Make sure you load at least 3 at a time to check the carrier. I loaded one at a time, worked great, loaded 3 and got a jam.

After polishing the internals mine runs like a champ now, but you shouldn't have to do that with a new gun.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have a remlin 1894 45 colt, and it is the most accurate Marlin that I own. It isn’t the prettiest, but it shoots the best. It’ll very often put two rounds in the same hole at 50 yds with American Eagle ammo. I’ve got 3 remlins in .45 colt, .357 mag, and 336ss; and 2 JM’s 1894ss and a 39a.

·
Registered
638 Posts
There is one for sale right on on SASS.NET in the classifieds.
JM model 1894 in 45LC

Reactions: rob42049

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
I am looking at a 1894 in 45 colt. I have a 336Y 30-30, and a 1895 45-70 so I sorta know about the Remlin thing.
Is there anything I need to be aware of? Hoping to egt one.
Thanks for any advice.
Robert
I have a JM 1894 CB Limited in 45LC. It has a 24in octagonal tapered barrel. It seems to really like my load of 280 cast with 22 grns H110 powder. If you are buying a new Remlin make sure you can personally check it before you buy it.
1) check fit and finish
2) check if sights are canted
3) bring a light and check the bore
4) bring dummy rounds and cycle them through---make sure it don't jam
5) make sure it can cycle with no rounds without jamming
6) never buy a Remlin sight unseen

Reactions: Bobshouse

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Let us know how it shoots. I have on in 45 colt with 24' octagon barrel. I love the extra forward weight when shooting offhand.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Turned out to be a 1894 CB, 45 colt, new, unfired, with hang tag still on it. $500. Ran some dummy rounds thru it. Put in 1, perfect. Put in 4, 1 good, 1 hesitated, 2 more good.
Can't wait to get to the range. YAHOO! Break in coming up!
What bullet shape are you using?
LG

·
Registered
312 Posts
I am going to carry on with the " why not 44 Magnum " question. Chuck Hawk, whoever he is, wrote the 45 Long Colt is not powerful enough for whitetail hunting, if that is your goal.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am usuing a 255gr lead RNFP, over 8.5 gr of Unique in both Handgun and rifle. Seems to be just right for me.
Thanks, Robert

·
Registered
11,867 Posts
I have taken white tail with the 44-40, I see no reason the 45Colt could not do the same. The caliber is capable, the rest is in the hands of the hunter.

Nice price on that CB! I think that was a great deal for an un-fired in the box rifle. Maybe I missed it, but what barrel length is it?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I am going to carry on with the " why not 44 Magnum " question. Chuck Hawk, whoever he is, wrote the 45 Long Colt is not powerful enough for whitetail hunting, if that is your goal.
Got mine so I would have the handgun and rifle use the same rounds, same as my 357 and my 44.

A 250 grain round, traveling at 800 to 1100 feet per second not good enough to take out deer?

Don't hunt myself, but I do enjoy myself at the gun club.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts